Equilibrium Wedge Problem: Solving for Force Exerted on Plates by Resting Ball

In summary, there is a steel ball with a mass of 1.7kg resting between two steel plates in a V-shaped wedge with a 25 degree angle. The goal is to find the magnitude of the forces exerted on each plate by the ball, assuming there is no significant friction between the ball and the plates. By considering all the forces acting on the ball and applying the condition of equilibrium, it is possible to solve for the magnitude of the forces.
Destrio
A steel ball of mass 1.7kg (16.66N) rests in the V shaped wedge (25 degrees) formed by two steel plates. Find the magnitude of the force exerted on each plate by the ball if the friction between the ball and the plates is not significant.

I really don't know where to start here, or exactly what force I'm trying to find.
I drew the diagram and used the sin law to find the other forces (using 16.66N) as one of the sides but that didn't work, nor did it makes sense to my as why it would work.

So I'm pretty stuck on this one.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking different: which forces are acting on the ball from the plates? Including gravity, there are three forces acting on the ball now, right? So, what is the condition of equilibrium of three forces?

thanks!
that enabled me to solve it :)

1. What is the concept of "equilibrium wedge" problem?

The "equilibrium wedge" problem is a concept in physics and mechanics that involves finding the equilibrium position of a wedge-shaped object placed on a horizontal surface. The position of equilibrium is the point at which the object will remain at rest without any external force or torque acting on it.

2. How is the equilibrium position of a wedge determined?

The equilibrium position of a wedge is determined by considering the forces and torques acting on the object. The weight of the object, the normal force from the surface, and any external forces or torques are taken into account to calculate the net force and torque acting on the wedge. The equilibrium position is where the net force and torque are equal to zero.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium position of a wedge?

The equilibrium position of a wedge is affected by the angle of the wedge, the weight of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the wedge and the surface it is resting on. These factors determine the forces and torques acting on the object and therefore, affect the equilibrium position.

4. How is the equilibrium position affected if the wedge is inclined?

If the wedge is inclined, the equilibrium position will shift towards the higher end of the wedge. This is because the weight of the object will create a torque that will cause the wedge to rotate, and the higher end will have a longer lever arm, resulting in a greater torque.

5. How is the equilibrium position of a wedge used in real-life applications?

The concept of equilibrium position of a wedge is used in various real-life applications such as in construction, where it is used to determine the stability of structures such as retaining walls and dams. It is also used in designing tools and machines, such as doorstops and inclined planes, to ensure they are in a stable position when in use.