1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibruim/Free body problem

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    Problem:
    A door of width 1.02 m and height 1.90 m weighs 288 N and is supported by two hinges, one a distance 0.500 m from the top and the other a distance 0.500 m from the bottom. Each hinge supports half the total weight of the door.

I'm not asking to solve this problem, I just need someone to explain how there would be any horizontal force at all, is this from the torque? When I try to draw a diagram, from what I can make of it, is that the forces exerted on the hinges are vertical. I just need clarification on the horizontal force.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about what would happen to the door if only the bottom hinge were attached. Then think about if only the top hinge were attached and the lower door frame was not in the way.

4. Nov 29, 2006 #3
    that makes sense now, the hinge would be pulling the door toward the hinge and holding it up at the same time. Is that correct?

5. Nov 29, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The top hinge has to pull the door. The bottom hinge has to push it. And if the door is hung properly, both hinges support about the same weight.

6. Nov 29, 2006 #5
    OlderDan,
    thank you very much for the help, I appreciate it a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?