Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilizer with lm833

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    I am looking to design an equalizer using the lm833 op-amp.
    I have used the lm833 to make an active crossover and pre-amp but what i really need it to use one of the op-amps in each lm833 as a bandpass filter to make the different frequencies
    So that i can have 2 adjustable frequencies for each chip.

Is there a way to combine the 2nd order high and low pass filters available in the datasheet to make a bandpass?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 10, 2015 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Sure it is possible (EDIT see dlgoff's post) If you insist on using a single op-amp, though, you will have to compromise since you can't independently optimize the roll off and the quality factor with a single-opamp topology. Check out this tutorial from Texas Instruments: http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/sloa088/sloa088.pdf [Broken] I recommend the Salen-Key topology shown on page 16-30. I've used these for Audio filters and they have been used in this fashion in various analog music synthesizers over the years...

If you want good performance from an audio standpoint, however, the much better technique is to put a 2nd-order high-pass filter in series with a 2nd-order low-pass filter to implement a bandpass. This will use two opamps but you'll have sharper corners since both skirts will roll off at 12 dB/octave. In the circuit dlgoff proposes the skirts roll off at 6 dB/octave. That might be good enough. It's up to you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Sep 10, 2015 #4
    Ok my plan was to have a 12db cutoff.
    So im infering that it is not possible to use one op amp for a 12db/octave bandpass filter, right?

6. Sep 10, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Déja vu ... I designed an equalizer back in '75 using gyrators. I seem to remember that it had a very good S/N ratio. If somebody is interested, I will try to dig up the schematics and publish them.

7. Sep 10, 2015 #6

analogdesign

Science Advisor

That is correct. 12dB/oct implies two poles (or zeros). One of the poles is giving you the low-pass part and the other is giving you the high-pass. Since each pole or zero only gives you 6db/octave you're stuck unless you use another op amp.

8. Sep 10, 2015 #7
    Ok now how do i set it up to make +- 12 db?
    It cant be just a potenciometer on the input because that would change volume from full to 0

9. Sep 10, 2015 #8

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Like I said before you need a higher order filter, so you need two op amps. The most straighforward way is to put a 2nd order high-pass in series with a second order lowpass

10. Sep 10, 2015 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I totally agree. And they don't call you analogdesign for nothin' :approve:

11. Sep 10, 2015 #10
    No sorry i wasnt clear :)

Im talking about potenciometer used to adjust the db of this channel.
    I have a highpass in series with a low pass now how do i make the output variable between -12 and +12db

12. Sep 10, 2015 #11

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Oh OK, I get you. The best way to do this is with a gain stage AFTER the filter. Make the gain of the filter as big as you can and then hopefully then you can just use a voltage divider (with a single pot and one fixed resistor) after the filter to attenuate. If you have to use an amplifier after the filter your design will be noisy but you may have no choice.

13. Sep 10, 2015 #12
    Ok awesome i know how to cut the voltage with a pot and resistor but here is my problem, what voltage translates to db?
    For example with speakers half or twice the voltage to the speaker is -/+6 db,
    Would this work the same on the low level equalized output we are creating?

14. Sep 11, 2015 #13

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Yep. Cutting the voltage in half is always a reduction of 6 dB. It doesn't matter where in the signal chain you do it from that standpoint (although you should do it at the end from a noise standpoint)

15. Sep 11, 2015 #14
    Ok great! I can calculate it then.
    And your saying to reduce noise i should put the potenciometer after the 2 filters?

16. Sep 11, 2015 #15

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Yes. You should put as much gain as possible as early into the signal chain as you can.

17. Sep 11, 2015 #16
    You mean use the op amps to increase db and not just use them as buffers for the filters?

18. Sep 11, 2015 #17

Svein

Science Advisor

Searching the web, it's amazing what you can find! This construction (http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/eqs/paramet.htm) is almost exactly like the construction I did back in 1980. I may have used slightly different values, but for all practical purposes...

Observe that it uses only one OpAmp per channel and that the frequency dependent part is "outside" the amplification.

19. Sep 11, 2015 #18

analogdesign

Science Advisor

That's one option. Another option is to put a preamp before the eq. I would build it with just the eq first and see if the noise is too high. If it is, put a preamp in front.

20. Sep 13, 2015 #19
    How much am i supposed to gain the signal by?
    And im a little confused on whybi need to boost the signal...

21. Sep 15, 2015 #20

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Try to use as much of the dynamic range of the eq as possible. The idea is noise is roughly constant (from a power standpoint) so you want the signal as strong as possible to optimize signal-to-noise. If your signal is really low (no gain) you may find it noisy.

So I would suggest not worrying about gain at first. If the eq is too noisy for your taste, put an amplifier before the eq. Gain the signal by as much as you can without introducing distortion. The distortion will be audible and will limit how much gain you can apply.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook