What is the Equilibrium Concentration of NO in the Reaction N2 + O2 = 2NO?

• Thread starter jlc287
  • Start date
In summary, equilibrium concentrations refer to the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. They can be calculated using the equilibrium constant (K) and can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and initial concentrations. Equilibrium concentrations differ from initial concentrations as they remain constant at equilibrium, while initial concentrations change as the reaction proceeds. Equilibrium concentrations can be altered by changing the conditions of the reaction, in accordance with Le Chatelier's principle.
jlc287
:rofl: I am having trouble figuring out the equillibrium equation in ppm for the following reaction N2 + O2 = 2NO. With 10 moles of N2 and 1 mole of O2. I am having trouble figuring out how to start this problem. Can anyone give me a hint...it has been years since i tried this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, so you want to find the expression for the equilibrium constant in terms of partial pressure?

I'm sorry, I need to find the equlibrium concentration of NO.

1. What is meant by equilibrium concentrations?

Equilibrium concentrations refer to the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This means that the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time, and the reaction is considered to be in a state of equilibrium.

2. How are equilibrium concentrations calculated?

Equilibrium concentrations can be calculated using the equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction. The equilibrium constant is a ratio of the concentrations of products to the concentrations of reactants at equilibrium. By plugging in the known concentrations of reactants and products, the equilibrium concentrations can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect equilibrium concentrations?

Temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products can all affect equilibrium concentrations. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium towards the reactants or products, resulting in a change in the equilibrium concentrations. Catalysts can also affect the rate of a reaction, but do not affect the equilibrium concentrations.

4. How do equilibrium concentrations differ from initial concentrations?

Initial concentrations refer to the starting concentrations of reactants and products before a reaction has reached equilibrium. These concentrations will change as the reaction proceeds and reaches equilibrium. Equilibrium concentrations, on the other hand, are the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium, and will remain constant as long as the conditions of the reaction do not change.

5. Can equilibrium concentrations be altered?

Yes, equilibrium concentrations can be altered by changing the conditions of the reaction such as temperature, pressure, or initial concentrations. By changing these factors, the equilibrium can be shifted to favor the reactants or products, resulting in a change in the equilibrium concentrations. This is known as Le Chatelier's principle.