1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equipartition Theorem and Microscopic Motion

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    What is the typical rotational frequency f_rot for a molecule like {\rm N}_2 at room temperature (25\;^\circ \rm{C})? Assume that d for this molecule is 1\; {\rm \AA} =10^{-10}\; {\rm m}. Take the atomic mass of {\rm N}_2 to be m_{\rm N_2} = 4.65 \times 10^{-26}\; {\rm kg}.
    Express f_rot numerically in hertz, to three significant figures.

I know that :

Boltzmann's constant = k_B = 1.38*10^-23 J/K

angular speed about the x axis is omega = [(k_B*T)/(m*((d^2)/2)]^1/2

Rotational frequency = omega/ 2pi

Then I got 6.69*10^6 as the answer, I was wondering if it is correct, since I only have one more try left.

Or do I need to take the 3 degrees of freedom into consideration, so would the equation for omega then becomes [3(k_B*T)/(m*((d^2)/2)]^1/2, so the final answer for rotational frequency is 2.00*10^8 ?

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2
    I think you should consider m - mass of N-2 first, then you apply it to the equation of omega to find omega and frequency.

Note: m in the omega formula is mass of only 1 atom while m given is the mass of Nitrogen molecule.

Hope this helps =)

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3
    But the mass of N_2 is already given in the problem.

m_{\rm N_2} = 4.65 \times 10^{-26}\; {\rm kg}

5. Dec 6, 2008 #4
    That's what I said above. The m given is mass of N-2 molecule which has 2 atoms. The mass m in the omega formula is mass of 1 single atom, not a molecule, which means you have to divide the given m by 2.

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    Actually then do I still need to take the degrees of freedom into consideration other than the mass situation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?