Equipollent System of Bars and Pivots

• Thread starter blueswan142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a system of three connected bars, where Bar 1 and Bar 2 can rotate and translate while Bar 3 can only translate horizontally. The question at hand is how to determine the moment at point A for equilibrium when there is a known horizontal force and displacement on Bar 3. The relevant equations are presented and it is concluded that the force at point A would be equal to the known horizontal force on Bar 3 multiplied by the distance between point 3 and point 1. The force at point B would then be this same force multiplied by the distance between point 3 and point 2. The moment at point A can be determined by multiplying the force at point B by the distance between point 2
blueswan142

Homework Statement

There are three connected bars (Bar 1, 2, and 3). Bar 1 is attached at on end to a pivot, point A, where it can rotate and at the other end to Bar 2, point B. Bar 2 is connected to Bar 1 at point B where it is free to rotate and translate. Bar 2 is connected at the opposing end to Bar 3, point C. Bar 3 can only translate horizontally. If there is a known horizontal force and displacement of Bar 3, what is the moment at point A so that the system is in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

M = F*rprep
M1 = M2 :. F1*rperp = F2*rprep

The Attempt at a Solution

The force at point A would be the known horizontal force on Bar 3 * rprep from point 3 to point 1. Right? This would be true regardless of the angle of Bar 2 correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then the force at point B would be that same force * rperp from point 3 to point 2. The moment at point A would be equal to the force at point B multiplied by rperp from point 2 to point 1. Is this correct?

I would approach this problem by first drawing a free body diagram of the system, labeling all the forces and distances involved. I would then use the equations for moments and equilibrium to determine the unknown moment at point A. This would involve setting the moments of the forces acting on Bar 1 and Bar 2 equal to each other, as shown in the equations above. The angle of Bar 2 would not affect the calculation, as long as the horizontal force and displacement of Bar 3 are known. Additionally, I would consider the weight of the bars and any other external forces that may be acting on the system.

To ensure the accuracy of my solution, I would also check for any redundant or missing equations and make sure all units are consistent. I would also consider the limitations and assumptions of the model, and discuss potential sources of error.

Overall, my approach would involve a combination of mathematical analysis and critical thinking, using fundamental principles of mechanics to solve the problem at hand.

What is an equipollent system of bars and pivots?

An equipollent system of bars and pivots is a mechanical system made up of interconnected bars and pivoting joints. It is used to transmit and redistribute forces in a controlled manner.

What are the main components of an equipollent system of bars and pivots?

The main components of an equipollent system of bars and pivots are bars, pivots, and connections. The bars are the rigid members that transmit forces, while the pivots are the joints that allow the bars to rotate. The connections are the points where the bars and pivots are joined together.

How does an equipollent system of bars and pivots work?

An equipollent system of bars and pivots works by utilizing the principles of static equilibrium. The forces acting on the system are balanced through the use of pivot points, which allow the bars to rotate and redistribute the forces. This allows for controlled movement and transfer of forces within the system.

What are the advantages of using an equipollent system of bars and pivots?

One of the main advantages of using an equipollent system of bars and pivots is its ability to distribute forces evenly and efficiently. This can help to reduce stress and strain on individual components, leading to improved stability and durability of the overall system. Additionally, the use of pivoting joints allows for flexibility and adaptability in different applications.

What are some real-world applications of equipollent systems of bars and pivots?

Equipollent systems of bars and pivots have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, construction, and robotics. They are commonly used in structures such as trusses, cranes, and bridges to distribute forces and support heavy loads. In robotics, they are used in robotic arms and joints to provide movement and control. They are also used in everyday objects such as scissors and pliers.