Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equipotence and non-empty sets

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1
    I am trying to prove the following about equipotence:
    Let A and B be nonempty sets. We say that A is equipotent with B if there is a bijection between A and B. Then the following hold:
    (i) A is equipotent with itself.
    (ii) If A is equipotent with B, then B is equipotent with A.
    (iii) If A is equipotent with B, and B is equipotent with C, then A is equipotent with C.

(i) We can use the identity function Id_A which gives a bijection between A and itself. Shall I need a more formal proof here?

(ii) Let f: A -> B be a 1-1 and onto map. We can use the inverse function f^-1 which will give a bijection between B and A. Same question here, how to give formal proof.

(iii) Let f:A->B, g:B->C be 1-1 and onto. Then the composition h=(g o f) will give a 1-1 and onto map from A onto C. How do you give a formal proof of this?

Hope you guys have some suggestions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2
    i. define the trivial function f(A)=A
    ii. if f(a)=b then f-1(b)=a
    iii. if f(a)=b g(b)=c then f.g(a)=c
  4. Oct 10, 2007 #3
  5. Oct 10, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do'nt see what you consider to be 'not formal' about the first two. A function is bijective if and only if it is invertible. Thus (i) and (ii) are trivialities - the identity is invertible, and the inverse of an invertible function is invertible.

The third is again simple - if f and g are invertible then so is fg, and to prove so you just write down the inverse and explain why it satisfies the definition of 'inverse'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?