Equipotential Cylinder: Can Method of Images Work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the potential outside an infinite conducting cylinder with a parallel infinite string of linear charge density \lambda. The possibility of solving this problem using the method of images is mentioned, where an image string with charge density \lambda_{1} is placed inside the cylinder. The equation for equipotential surfaces is also mentioned, and the calculation of \lambda_{1} and a is discussed. The solution is compared to the 3D version of the problem.
neworder1
An infinite string with linear charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] is put parallel to the axis of an infinite conducting grounded cylinder (V=0) of radius [tex]R[/tex], the distance between the string and the center of the cylinder is [tex]l[/tex]. Find the potential outside the cylinder.

Is it possible to solve this problem using the method of images, i.e. placing an image string with some charge density [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] inside the cylinder so that the cylinder will be an equipotential surface? If V weren't 0, I could place a string of equal charge (i.e. [tex]-\lambda[/tex]) somwehere inside and it should work, but for V=0, the charges can't be equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is the 2D example of a charge outside a sphere.

Ok, but how do I calculate this? If I place an image string with charge [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] inside the cylinder, at distance [tex]a[/tex] from the center,I get the following equation for equipotential surfaces:
[tex]\lambda ln(r)-\lambda_{1} ln(r_{1})=C[/tex], where [tex]r, r_{1}[/tex] are distances form resp. 1st and 2nd string. Now if I put C=0 (since on the surface of the cylinder V=0, and I want the cylinder to be an equipotential surface), I get:
[tex]\lambda ln(r)=\lambda_{1} ln(r_{1})[/tex]. Now I need to calculate [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] and [tex]a[/tex] from this. Any help?

It's done like the 3D problem.
Write [tex](R\hat{r}-{\vec L})e^\lambda=(R\hat{r}-{\vec L}')e^{-\lambda'}[/tex].
Then let L'=R^2/L.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Can Method of Images" used for in relation to equipotential cylinders?

The "Can Method of Images" is a mathematical technique used to solve problems related to equipotential cylinders. It involves creating a mirror image of the original cylinder to simulate the effect of an infinite number of cylinders, resulting in a simpler and more manageable solution.

2. How does the "Can Method of Images" work?

The "Can Method of Images" works by applying the principle of superposition, which states that the electric potential at any point in space is the sum of the individual potentials due to each source. By creating a mirror image of the original cylinder, we can simulate an infinite number of cylinders with alternating charges, resulting in a simpler solution.

3. What are the assumptions made when using the "Can Method of Images" for equipotential cylinders?

The "Can Method of Images" makes the following assumptions: the cylinders are infinitely long, the cylinders are of equal radius, and the cylinders are evenly spaced. Additionally, the method assumes that the cylinder is grounded and that the surrounding space is filled with a uniform dielectric material.

4. Can the "Can Method of Images" be applied to non-cylindrical objects?

While the "Can Method of Images" is specifically designed for solving problems related to equipotential cylinders, it can also be applied to other objects with similar symmetries. However, modifications to the original method may be necessary for non-cylindrical objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Can Method of Images" for equipotential cylinders?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the "Can Method of Images" for equipotential cylinders. For example, the method may not be applicable if the cylinders have different radii, are not evenly spaced, or are not grounded. Additionally, the method may not accurately predict the electric field at points near the edges of the cylinders.