1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equipotential cylinder

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    An infinite string with linear charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] is put parallel to the axis of an infinite conducting grounded cylinder (V=0) of radius [tex]R[/tex], the distance between the string and the center of the cylinder is [tex]l[/tex]. Find the potential outside the cylinder.

Is it possible to solve this problem using the method of images, i.e. placing an image string with some charge density [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] inside the cylinder so that the cylinder will be an equipotential surface? If V weren't 0, I could place a string of equal charge (i.e. [tex]-\lambda[/tex]) somwehere inside and it should work, but for V=0, the charges can't be equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Yes, it is the 2D example of a charge outside a sphere.

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    Ok, but how do I calculate this? If I place an image string with charge [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] inside the cylinder, at distance [tex]a[/tex] from the center,I get the following equation for equipotential surfaces:
    [tex]\lambda ln(r)-\lambda_{1} ln(r_{1})=C[/tex], where [tex]r, r_{1}[/tex] are distances form resp. 1st and 2nd string. Now if I put C=0 (since on the surface of the cylinder V=0, and I want the cylinder to be an equipotential surface), I get:
    [tex]\lambda ln(r)=\lambda_{1} ln(r_{1})[/tex]. Now I need to calculate [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] and [tex]a[/tex] from this. Any help?

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

pam

It's done like the 3D problem.
    Write [tex](R\hat{r}-{\vec L})e^\lambda=(R\hat{r}-{\vec L}')e^{-\lambda'}[/tex].
    Then let L'=R^2/L.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?