1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equipotential diagram

1. Feb 22, 2006 #1
    Im having trouble reading this diagram. I know that the difference between each equipotential line is .2mV

[​IMG]

The question asks for the potentials at point A and point B, how the slope of the potential surface at point X is related to the spacing between the equipotential contours at point X, and the magnitude of the electric field at point X. I am kind of lost on how to read the diagram.

Any insights or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2
    At point A, I think that the electric field strength is 0.6 mV, since there is a spacing of 0.2 mV, and there are three "lines" between it and 0 mV. The electric field strength at B is -0.2 mV, for a similar reason.

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3
    OK i see that now. As for the electric field of X, i know that the electric field is equal to Force / Charge but I dont know how to get those variables from the diagram. Any help would be great. thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?