Solve Equipotential Lines: Approximate Electric Field Strength

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the approximate strength of the electric field at points A and B using the equations Ex = -V/X and Ey = -V/X, as well as the hint to break down the electric field into its x and y components. The conversation also includes a discussion about the potential values on the graph and how to choose appropriate numbers for calculation.
conniechiwa
The figure shows the equipotential lines for another electric field. What is the approximate strength of the electric field at points A and B?

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/Phys1202/summer/homework/Ch-20-Potential/equipotential_lines/equ-lines-4.jpg"

I used the equations:
Ex = -V/X
= -(25V-40V)/(0.005m-0m)
= 3000 V/m
Ey = -V/X
= ( 25V-40V)/(0.004m-0m)
= 3750 V/m
EA= sqrt (Ex squared + Ey squared)
= 4802 V/m

I'm not sure what else to do. Any pointers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its mainly graph reading I believe with no calculation involved. What do you think A and B will be accoriding to the graph you were given?

I thought point A would be 4802 V/m. The hint the problem gave me was: Remember that although the electrical potential, V, is a scalar, the electric field, E is a vector. You can break the vector E down into it's components. That is Ex = ΔV/Δx and Ey = ΔV/Δy. Now just add up the components of the electric field to get the total strength. Remember you have to add them as you normally would any vector components.

I broke up the problem into x and y components like it told me to do, but I still can't get the right answer.

Sorry I thought it said potential.

I'm not sure why you've chosen those potentials as they're seemingly not related to the distances you have. Have a think about that again.

I'm not really sure what you're saying but... I chose 25V-40V because point A is in the middle of 30V and 20V and the graph starts at 40V. Point A also seems to be at (0.005m, 0.004m)

The graph doesn't seem to start at 40V from what I'm looking at.

The x-axis starts at 40V.

conniechiwa said:
The x-axis starts at 40V.

That doesn't make any sense. There is no equipotential line for that 40 V marker. Also, the x-axis can't be an equipotential line since multiple equipotentials of different values pass through it.

I think that 40V marker is a mistake since there is no equipotential line corresponding to it. Try to work out your values using numbers for which there are obvious equipotential lines. Avoid using that number 40V and see what answer you get.

I tried it again for point A and this is what I got...

Ex = -V/X
= -(25V-0V)/(0.005m-0m)
= 5000 V/m
Ey = -V/X
= (25V-0V)/(0.004m-0m)
= 6250 V/m
EA= sqrt (Ex squared + Ey squared)
= 8003.905 V/m

Am I picking the right values this time? I still can't get the right answer.

At x=0 and the same y value as the point, what is the potential. It isn't zero.

I'm not really sure what you're asking me...

I'm saying if you move a little x-distance from the point then what is the difference in potential.

Nevermind...I solved it. Thanks. =)

I have the same problem how do you know what numbers to use?

1. What are equipotential lines?

Equipotential lines are imaginary lines that connect points in a given space where the electric potential is the same. These lines are perpendicular to the electric field lines and represent regions of equal potential energy.

2. How do you solve for equipotential lines?

To solve for equipotential lines, you first need to determine the electric potential at different points in the space. This can be done by using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. Once you have calculated the electric potential at various points, you can plot the equipotential lines by connecting points with the same potential.

3. What factors affect the shape and spacing of equipotential lines?

The shape and spacing of equipotential lines are affected by the distribution of charge in the space. If the charge is evenly distributed, the equipotential lines will be evenly spaced and circular around the charges. However, if the charges are unevenly distributed, the equipotential lines will be closer together where there is a higher concentration of charge and farther apart where there is less charge.

4. How is electric field strength related to equipotential lines?

The electric field strength is directly related to the spacing of equipotential lines. The closer together the lines are, the stronger the electric field is in that region. Conversely, the farther apart the lines are, the weaker the electric field is. This relationship can also be represented by the equation E = -∆V/∆d, where E is the electric field strength, ∆V is the change in electric potential, and ∆d is the change in distance between equipotential lines.

5. Why is it important to understand equipotential lines and electric field strength?

Understanding equipotential lines and electric field strength is crucial in many areas of science, especially in the study of electricity and magnetism. These concepts are used to understand and predict the behavior of electric charges and their interactions with each other. They also play a significant role in the design and operation of electronic devices and circuits. Additionally, knowledge of these concepts is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.