Equipotential Surfaces for Different Charge Configurations

In summary: B is wrong because a point charge would not produce an equipotential surface. A spherically symmetric charge distribution would produce an equipotential surface, as would a very large, plane, uniformly-charged sheet. An electric dipole would produce no equipotential surface.
pat666

Homework Statement

Sketch the equipotential surfaces which result from the following charge configurations:
(a) a point charge
(b) a spherically symmetric charge distribution
(c) a very large, plane, uniformly-charged sheet
(d) a long, uniformly-charged cylinder
(e) an electric dipole.

sorry I have posted this already but i figured since i mainly just need a check id stick it in a different thread.
I am pretty sure that a and e are correct, unsure of b and d and I need some help with c... thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• equi.jpg
    equi.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
It might help understanding to think about these in terms of http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/gaulaw.html" .

B is wrong. D is probably better drawn in 3D if you can. For C, think about the gravitational field right at the surface of the Earth - this is a good approximation.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry but could you give me a bit more of a hand - I've never heard of Gauss' law (excluding the million things in maths he did) D i don't think i can draw in 3d?, b i have no idea what else to do and c i will look at the gravitational field right at the surface of the Earth now

What will B look like from a huge distance away? (Think about stars in the sky! :rofl:)

D is misleading in 2D. If the marking is really picky it might even be wrong - remember how to draw field lines into and out of a page? to draw in 3D just draw a coke can, then rub out the ends or something!

been a year since i did this in high school but i think that x means out of page and dots mean in??

is this what you meant for d? (really dodgy)

Attachments

• d.png
    d.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 468
Its long, so you can ignore the effects at the ends presumably.

Describe what it should look like. Again, you can picture it from far away.

I really can't picture it ay. so for d if I cut off the ends will it be right then?

1. What are equipotential lines?

Equipotential lines are imaginary lines that connect points in a space where the electric potential is the same. They represent a constant value of electric potential and are always perpendicular to electric field lines.

2. How are equipotential lines created?

Equipotential lines are created by plotting points in a space where the electric potential is the same. This is done by using mathematical equations or by using equipotential mapping techniques.

3. What is the significance of equipotential lines?

Equipotential lines help us visualize the electric potential in a given space. They also provide important information about the strength and direction of electric fields. In addition, they help us understand the behavior of electric charges and can aid in the design of electric circuits.

4. Are equipotential lines always straight?

No, equipotential lines can be curved or straight depending on the distribution of electric charges in the given space. In the case of a point charge, the equipotential lines are circular, whereas in the case of two point charges, they are hyperbolic.

5. How are equipotential lines related to electric potential energy?

Equipotential lines and electric potential energy are closely related. The distance between two equipotential lines determines the change in electric potential energy between those two points. Closer equipotential lines indicate a greater change in electric potential energy, whereas farther lines indicate a smaller change.