Equipotential Lines Homework: Calculating Electric Field Strength

In summary, the electric field at point A is approximately 5 V/cm and at point B it is approximately 15 V/cm.
hrs90

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the equipotential lines for a uniformly varying electric field.
[PLAIN]https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/Phys1202/fall/homework/Ch-20-Potential/equipotential_lines/equ-lines-1.jpg

A) What is the approximate strength of the electric field at point A?
B) What is the approximate strength of the electric field at point B?

Homework Equations

-E=ΔV/Δs (That's what I think...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to start off by dividing the voltage by the distance, but besides that I really have no idea on how to start the problem. I'm not just looking for an answer, but if anyone could get me started off I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's exactly what you do, divide the voltage by the distance. For the equipotential of A you seem to go approximately 10 Volts lower for every 2cm of y.

Ok, so would it be 15 divided by 3.50 or 15 divided by 5.70? I tried both these numbers, both turn out to be wrong answers.

Where did you get 15 from?

Point A is located between 10 V and 20 V and it is kinda in the middle. So i tought it would be 15, but now I am totally confused! :/
I don't know how to read these graphs, my teacher never really talked about them.

Oh, yeah, you're just interpreting the graphs wrong. Lines of equipotential show that there would be no work to move a particle along one of the lines. So you can see from these graphs that the lines of equipotential is flat along the x axis, so there's no change ever. Ignore the x. Now, in the y-axis we do get change, and that change varies, so there must be an electric field in the direction of y.

E=-∆V/∆s
so approximate the first point A by looking at the change along the y direction for that region
E=-(10-20)/(4.2-2.2)=5

I'll let you do point B.

Last edited:
Thank you so much man. Now not only I know how to do read the graph, I can do the rest of the homework. :)

1. What is the purpose of calculating electric field strength?

The purpose of calculating electric field strength is to understand the strength and direction of the electric field at different points in space. This information is important for studying and predicting the behavior of electrically charged particles in a given region.

2. How are equipotential lines related to electric field strength?

Equipotential lines are imaginary lines that connect points in space with the same electric potential. Electric field lines are perpendicular to these equipotential lines, and the spacing between the equipotential lines represents the magnitude of the electric field strength at that point.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric field strength?

The formula for calculating electric field strength is E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between two points, and d is the distance between those two points.

4. How do you use equipotential lines to determine electric field strength?

To determine electric field strength using equipotential lines, you can measure the distance between two neighboring equipotential lines and use the formula E = V/d. Alternatively, you can use a graph of equipotential lines and the slope of the lines to calculate the electric field strength.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating electric field strength?

Calculating electric field strength is important in many fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and atmospheric science. It is used to design and optimize electrical circuits, study the behavior of charged particles in space, and understand the effects of electric fields on weather patterns and climate. It is also essential in the development of technologies such as capacitors, transformers, and particle accelerators.