Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equipotential Surfaces

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    I need help with developing a good understanding of equipotential surfaces corresponding to regions of three dimensional electric fields. I would appreciate if someone could refer me to a site or sites where this is comprehensively explained along with illustrations and with related conceptual problems (with solutions). Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2
    The most comprehensive coverage of electrostatics is the latest edition of Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity". It is a very difficult read, but has many solved problems at the end of every chapter. I do not know of any good web sites.

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3
    Many thanks. In case you know the publisher's name please let me know.

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4
    The publisher of Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity" 3rd Ed, (1968) is McGraw-Hill. Amazon has 2 copies @ $335.00. This edition uses rationalized mks units, and is different than both the 1st and 2nd editions. The problems at the end of every chapter are very difficult, and according to Smythe "all have been solved by at least one advanced graduate student." An old friend of mine took this course from Smythe at Cal Tech, and worked out ALL the problems.

6. Jun 16, 2009 #5
    Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook