Exploring Equivalence Classes in Rings: Why a-b Instead of a+a?

In summary, equivalence classes in rings are sets of elements that share a common property or relationship with each other. They are closely related to congruence, which partitions the elements in a ring into equivalence classes. Equivalence classes are significant in ring theory as they help understand the structure and properties of rings. The number of equivalence classes in a ring is equal to the number of distinct congruence classes. They also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as group theory, set theory, and topology.
InquilineKea
So I'm kind of confused about the definition:

[tex] a-b\in I[/tex]

Why a - b instead of a + b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to prove that a-b is an equivalence relation? Can you be more specific?

Last edited:
It's actually natural to write a-b because I becomes zero when you quotient out by it, so a-b in I means a-b=0 or, written differently, a=b.

you would presumably want a equivalent to a, which follows from a-a in I, rather than a+a in I.

1. What are equivalence classes in rings?

Equivalence classes in rings are sets of elements that share a common property or relationship with each other. In a ring, two elements are said to be equivalent if they produce the same result when operated on with other elements in the ring. The set of all elements that are equivalent to each other is called an equivalence class.

2. How are equivalence classes related to congruence in rings?

In rings, equivalence classes are closely related to congruence. Congruence is a relation between two elements in a ring where their difference is divisible by a given element. Equivalence classes can be thought of as the set of elements that are congruent to each other with respect to a given element. In other words, congruence partitions the elements in a ring into equivalence classes.

3. What is the significance of equivalence classes in ring theory?

Equivalence classes are important in ring theory because they help us understand the structure and properties of rings. By studying the properties of equivalence classes, we can make generalizations and proofs about the entire ring. Equivalence classes also allow us to simplify calculations and make certain operations more efficient.

4. How do you determine the number of equivalence classes in a ring?

The number of equivalence classes in a ring is equal to the number of distinct congruence classes. To find the number of congruence classes, we can use the division algorithm, which states that given any two integers a and b, there exist unique integers q and r such that a = bq + r, where 0 ≤ r < b. Each value of r represents a distinct congruence class, and therefore a distinct equivalence class.

5. Can equivalence classes be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, equivalence classes can be used in various areas of mathematics, such as group theory, set theory, and topology. In group theory, equivalence classes can help identify subgroups and cosets. In set theory, they are used to define partitions and quotient sets. In topology, equivalence classes are used to construct quotient spaces. Thus, equivalence classes have applications beyond just ring theory.