Can every countable number be represented in all numeral systems?

In summary, the question is how to prove that all numeral systems can represent every countable number, and the suggested approach is to use a proof by induction, showing that if a number has an expansion in a certain base, then the next number also has an expansion. This can be demonstrated by showing that the "carrying" process in addition eventually terminates.
Wminus
Hi. This might be a stupid question (I'm studying engineering :p), but how do you prove that all numeral systems (binary, ternary etc.) can represent every countable number?

I guess you will need to prove that any number ##N## can be written as ##N= S^0 n_0 + S^1 n_1 + S^2 n_2 + ...## where ##S## is the base of the numeral system, and ##n_i \in [0,max\{S\}]## with ##i \in \mathbb{N}##.

EDIT: fixed an error in my equation

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the question unclear in some way? btw n_i should be element of [0,S], not [0, max{S}]. Duno why I wrote max S, I guess I'm just exhausted due to the exams.

Wminus said:
Hi. This might be a stupid question (I'm studying engineering :p), but how do you prove that all numeral systems (binary, ternary etc.) can represent every countable number?

I guess you will need to prove that any number ##N## can be written as ##N= S^0 n_0 + S^1 n_1 + S^2 n_2 + ...## where ##S## is the base of the numeral system, and ##n_i \in [0,max\{S\}]## with ##i \in \mathbb{N}##.

EDIT: fixed an error in my equation
You can do a proof by induction--show that if some N has an expansion, then N+1 also has an expansion. Demonstrating that the process of "carrying" in addition terminates after a finite number of steps is sufficient.

Likes Wminus

What is the concept of equivalence of number systems?

The concept of equivalence of number systems is the idea that different number systems, such as decimal, binary, and hexadecimal, can represent the same value in different ways. This means that a number in one number system can be converted to an equivalent number in another number system without changing its value.

Why is the concept of equivalence of number systems important?

Understanding the equivalence of number systems is important in various fields, such as computer science and mathematics. It allows for efficient conversion between different number systems and helps in simplifying complex calculations.

How do you determine if two number systems are equivalent?

To determine if two number systems are equivalent, you can convert a number from one system to the other and check if the value remains the same. For example, converting the decimal number 10 to binary would result in 1010, which is equivalent to 10 in decimal.

What are the most commonly used number systems?

The most commonly used number systems are decimal, binary, octal, and hexadecimal. Decimal is used in everyday life, binary is used in computing, octal is used in digital systems, and hexadecimal is used in programming and computer science.

Can any number system be converted to another?

Yes, any number system can be converted to another as long as the base of the two systems is the same. For example, decimal can be converted to binary, octal, or hexadecimal, but binary cannot be converted to octal or hexadecimal.