Are SI Units Equivalent in Differential Equations?

In summary, the units for the LHS and RHS of the differential equation have to match, with Beta having units of 1/m and C having units of W/m. This also applies to the equation E=mc2, where the SI units for the RHS must equal the LHS. The constant C, known as spontaneous emission power, may be confusing since power is typically measured in watts.
mlsbbe
Hi all,
I would like to know if any of you know about anything the equivalence of SI units for differential equations? For example, for the equation

E=mc2 SI units for RHS must equal LHS. I am wondering if this would apply to differential equations?

I recently came across a journal paper with the following forumula:

[tex]\frac{dP}{dx}=\beta P+C[/tex]

Where [tex]\beta [/tex], [tex]C[/tex], is a constant. [tex]x[/tex] is the length in metres

Now, P equals to the power (in W). In this case, can you evaluate both RHS and LHS in terms of SI units? It seems to me that both the LHS and RHS of this equation is not equivalent.

Physics news on Phys.org
dP/dx can be approximated to ΔP/Δx to give units of Wm-1

mlsbbe said:
Hi all,
I would like to know if any of you know about anything the equivalence of SI units for differential equations? For example, for the equation

E=mc2 SI units for RHS must equal LHS. I am wondering if this would apply to differential equations?
Yep, it applies to all equations. Both sides, and all terms, have to have the same units, otherwise it's not a physically meaningful equation. Note that in some unit systems, certain constants may have a numerical value of 1 and are conventionally omitted - for example, in natural units you can write [itex]E = m[/itex] - but when you switch to another unit system (like SI) in which the constants are not "trivially valued" you need to put them back in.

In
using SI units, the constant [itex]\beta[/itex] has to have units of [itex]\mathrm{m}^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] has to have units of [itex]\mathrm{W/m}[/itex].

mlsbbe said:
Hi all,

I recently came across a journal paper with the following forumula:

Where [tex]\beta [/tex], [tex]C[/tex], is a constant. [tex]x[/tex] is the length in metres

Now, P equals to the power (in W). In this case, can you evaluate both RHS and LHS in terms of SI units? It seems to me that both the LHS and RHS of this equation is not equivalent.

The units have to match on the LHS and RHS. So the units of Beta must be 1/m, and the units of C must be W/m.

Thanks for your reply guys.

I was confused because the constant C is called the spontaneous emission power, which is confusing since power is measured in watts.

mlsbbe said:
Thanks for your reply guys.

I was confused because the constant C is called the spontaneous emission power, which is confusing since power is measured in watts.

Sounds like a good time to gently point out their error to them.

What is the definition of SI units?

The International System of Units (SI) is the modern form of the metric system. It is the most widely used system of measurement in the world and is based on seven base units: meter, kilogram, second, ampere, Kelvin, mole, and candela.

Why is the equivalence of SI units important?

The equivalence of SI units is important because it ensures consistency and accuracy in measurements across different scientific disciplines and countries. It allows for easy communication and comparison of data between scientists.

What is the process for establishing equivalence of SI units?

The equivalence of SI units is established through careful scientific experiments and calculations. This involves comparing the measured value of a quantity in one unit to its equivalent value in another unit, and determining the conversion factor.

What are the two types of equivalence of SI units?

The two types of equivalence of SI units are exact equivalence and approximate equivalence. Exact equivalence means that the two units are equal in value, while approximate equivalence means that the units are related by a fixed numerical factor.

How does the equivalence of SI units benefit scientific research?

The equivalence of SI units allows for more accurate and precise measurements, leading to more reliable and reproducible scientific research. It also facilitates international collaboration and standardization in scientific experiments and data collection.