• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Equivalence relation help

Hey guys, wasn't sure what forum to post this in. So if this is the wrong forum, I apologize. Anyway, I have a problem in Real Analysis that I can't quite get. Here it is:

Let f:A->B and R is a relation on A such that xRy iff f(x) = f(y).
a.) Prove R is an equivalence relation
b.) Show g:A->E is surjective
c.) Show h:E->B is injective
d.) Prove f(x) = h(g(x)).

I solved parts a, b, and c. My problem is part d... I don't even know where to begin. It just doesn't make sense to me when I think about it. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't put what E is. E is the equivalence classes on any particular element. So, it's the set of all equivalence classes for this function.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For two functions to be equal, they have to send the same element to the same image.

Galileo said:
For two functions to be equal, they have to send the same element to the same image.
So are we showing that if f(x) = h(g(x)), then g(x) = x? Here is exactly what I have written so far:

"Proof: In order to show that two functions are equal, we must show that for any x in the domain, we will get the same output y in the codomain. So, if f(x) = x, then h(g(x)) = x as well. By the definition if being injective, x = g(x)."

I'm lost from there.