1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence Relation

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    I'm having a bit of difficulty in showing the following is an equivalence relation:

[itex]z~w iff \frac{z}{w} \in \mathbb{R} \forall z,w \in \mathbb{C}*=\mathbb{C} \backslash \{0\][/itex]

clearly z~z is ok as 1 is real

then i considered [itex]\frac{z}{y} \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and tried to show y divided by z is real. i decided to multiply through by [itex]\frac{\bar{y}}{\bar{y}}[/itex] to get [itex]\frac{z \bar{y}}{|y|^2} \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]
    then clearly [itex]z \bar{y} \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]
    and dividing by [itex]|z|^2[/itex] we get [itex]\frac{\bar{y}}{\bar{z}} \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]
    but now what?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    1) If a number [tex]w[/tex] is real, what does that tell you about the inverse [tex]w^{-1}[/tex]? (remember: [tex]w * w^{-1} = 1[/tex])

2) For the final step, use the fact that you can write a fraction as: [tex]\frac{a}{b} = \frac{a}{c}\frac{c}{b}[/tex]

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(z/w)(w/z)= 1. Therefore, w/z is the multiplicative inverse of z/w. But z/w is real so its multiplicative inverse is ....

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4
    erm.. just w/z???

6. Apr 3, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but what I was looking for is "since z/w is real, its multiplicative inverse, w/z, is real". That was what xepema meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook