1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence relation

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

is the relation [tex]\propto[/tex] deifined on RxR defined by (x,y) [tex]\propto[/tex] (a,b) [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] an equivalence relation?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know i have to show that they hold true for the 3 properties
    1 reflexive
    2 symetric
    3 transiative

but im unsure to go about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Can you test whether each of the 3 properties hold? For instance, the reflexive property means that [tex](x,y)\propto (x,y)[/tex] for all x and y. Is that true?

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    it think it is true because x=x and y=y and x^2=x^2 and y^2=y^2

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Exactly, continue this process for the other two properties, and you will have an answer.

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5
    it it holds true for reflexive because if x[tex]\equiv[/tex] a and y[tex]\equiv[/tex] c so x+y [tex]\equiv[/tex] a+b and hence x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\equiv[/tex] a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] ?is this right?

7. Aug 25, 2009 #6

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Yes, except I assume you mean y=b, instead of y=c.

8. Aug 25, 2009 #7
    oh yes sorry, thanks a million

9. Aug 25, 2009 #8
    same again for symmetric

if x[tex]\equiv[/tex]a and y[tex]\equiv[/tex]b then a[tex]\equiv[/tex]x and b[tex]\equiv[/tex]y

and so it follow that a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\equiv[/tex] x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] and follows that it is symetric

10. Aug 25, 2009 #9
    but for transitive i need to show if a[tex]\equiv[/tex]b and b[tex]\equiv[/tex]c then a[tex]\equiv[/tex]c but in my relation which values do i use?

11. Aug 25, 2009 #10

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

This is not quite right. The symmetric property requires that if [tex](x,y)\propto (a,b)[/tex] then [tex](a,b)\propto (x,y)[/tex]. The fact that [tex](x,y)\propto (a,b)[/tex] does not imply that both x=a and y=b, merely that [tex]x^2 + y^2 = a^2 + b^2[/tex]. But it is still extremely easy to show that the symmetric property holds anyway.

For the transitive property, there are three pairs of numbers involved. You can call them (x,y), (a,b) and (u,v) and you will find that the test is straightfoward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook