What is the equivalence class [3] in a relation defined by powers of 2?

In summary: Rb## is always in Q+, since a/b is in Q+.Without loss of generality for n<0 or both m and n <0. Thus, ##2^{n} R 2^{m} ## and R is symmetric.Is this correct?Yes.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Let ## H = \{ 2^{m} : m \in Z\}##
A relation R defined in ##Q^{+} ## by ##aRb ##, if ## \frac{a}{b} \in H##

a.) Show that R is an equivalence Relation

b.) Describe the elements in the equivalence class [3].

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I think I am able to solve it, tell me what you think of my solution:
Assume:
##2^{m} R 2^{m} , m \in Z##
Since, ## 2^{0} \equiv 1 \equiv \frac{2^{m} }{2^{m} } \in H##
So, R is reflexive, for any m in Z.

Assume:
##2^{m} R 2^{n} ##, then ## \frac{ 2^{m}} { 2^{m} }, m , n \in Z##
If ##m<0 \frac{1}{2^{m} 2^{n}} ## , then it still satisfies ##2^{0} , 2^{m+n} \in H##, since m+n is in Z as well.
Without loss of generality for n<0 or both m and n <0.
Thus, ##2^{n} R 2^{m} ## and R is symmetric.

Assume:
##2^{m} R 2^{n} ## and ##2^{n} R 2^{d} ##, since n, m, and d are in Z , they are transitive.

I have problems in part b.
What would an equivalence class [3] mean in this powers of 2 relation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've gone about this the wrong way. You must prove R is an equivalence relation on Q+, not on H.

So, you need to show the properties hold for elements of Q+.

knowLittle said:
I have problems in part b.
What would an equivalence class [3] mean in this powers of 2 relation?

3 is a positive rational number. [3] is the equivalence class of 3, ie. the set of all positive rational [itex]a[/itex] such that [itex]aR3[/itex].

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
3 is a positive rational number. [3] is the equivalence class of 3, ie. the set of all positive rational [itex]a[/itex] such that [itex]aR3[/itex].

I know that a/b or 3/1 is in ## Q^{+} ##.
Would be multiples of 3 or numbers that can be divided and reduced into 3/1?

PeroK said:
You've gone about this the wrong way. You must prove R is an equivalence relation on Q+, not on H.

So, you need to show the properties hold for elements of Q+.

So, the purpose of mentioning H is to say that whatever a/b is in the form ## 2^{m}, m \in Z##?
It will always be in Q+.
Could you give one or two examples of elements in this relation class?

knowLittle said:
So, the purpose of mentioning H is to say that whatever a/b is in the form ## 2^{m}, m \in Z##?
It will always be in Q+.
Could you give one or two examples of elements in this relation class?

You've still got things the wrong way round. You would start, for symmetry say:

Let a, b be in Q+ and aRb, then a/b is in H, so ## ∃ m \in Z \ s.t. \ a/b = 2^{m} ##...

Likes 1 person
PeroK said:
You've still got things the wrong way round. You would start, for symmetry say:

Let a, b be in Q+ and aRb, then a/b is in H, so ## ∃ m \in Z \ s.t. \ a/b = 2^{m} ##...

This is what I don't understand, what if a/b =7. This cannot be explained by ##2^{m}##

knowLittle said:
This is what I don't understand, what if a/b =7. This cannot be explained by ##2^{m}##

If a/b = 7 then ## a \ notR b ##

knowLittle said:
In addition to what PeroK said, if a=7 and b=14, neither of which is of the form ##2^n##, you'd have aRb because a/b = 1/2 = 2-1.

Likes 1 person
knowLittle said:
I know that a/b or 3/1 is in ## Q^{+} ##.
Would be multiples of 3 or numbers that can be divided and reduced into 3/1?

In the definition of [itex]aRb[/itex], both [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are strictly positive rationals, and [itex]aRb[/itex] if and only if there exists [itex]m \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] such that [itex]ab^{-1} \in H = \{2^m : m \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex].

Thus, for example, 4/7 and 5/41 are not equivalent, because
[tex]\frac 47 \div \frac 5{41} = \frac{164}{35} \notin H.[/tex]
On the other hand, 5/8 and 5/16 are equivalent, because
[tex]
\frac 58 \div \frac {5}{16} = 2 \in H.
[/tex]

Likes 1 person
So, to correct my 'proof' as Perok mentioned:

knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

Let ## H = \{ 2^{m} : m \in Z\}##
A relation R defined in ##Q^{+} ## by ##aRb ##, if ## \frac{a}{b} \in H##

a.) Show that R is an equivalence Relation

b.) Describe the elements in the equivalence class [3].

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I think I am able to solve it, tell me what you think of my solution:
Assume:
##2^{m} R 2^{m} , m \in Z##
Since, ## 2^{0} \equiv 1 \equiv \frac{2^{m} }{2^{m} } \in Q^{+}##
So, R is reflexive, for any m in Z.
Is this correct?

Assume:
##2^{m} R 2^{n} ##, then ## \frac{ 2^{m}} { 2^{n} }, m , n \in Z ## and the fractions are in Q+.
If ## 2^{m} R 2^{n} ##, then ## \frac{ 2^{m}} { 2^{n} } ## is in Q+ and m,n in Z.
Assume ##\frac{ 2^{n} }{ 2^{ m} } ##, then ## 2^{n}R 2^{m} ## and R is symmetric.
Thus, ##2^{n} R 2^{m} ## and R is symmetric.

Assume:
##2^{m} R 2^{n} ## and ##2^{n} R 2^{d} ##, since n, m, and d are in Z and
## \frac{ 2^{m-n}}{1} ## and ## \frac{ 2^{n-d}}{1} , ## are in ##Q^{+} ## and ##m-n, n-d \in Z##,
then ## \frac{2^{m}}{2^{n} } \times \frac{ 2^{n} }{2^{d}} = \frac{2^{m}}{2^{d} } \in Q+ ##, then
they are transitive.
Is this correct?

Last edited:
Well, that's a new one. You have made it impossible to quote your revised post. How the hell did you do that?

In any case, it is still messed up, even on reflexive. You have to start with ##a\in Q^+##. You aren't given that ##a## is some power of ##2##.

If ##a\in Q^+## please state what you have to prove to show ##aRa##. Do it in response to this post, not by editing something previous.

LCKurtz said:
Well, that's a new one. You have made it impossible to quote your revised post. How the hell did you do that?

In any case, it is still messed up, even on reflexive. You have to start with ##a\in Q^+##. You aren't given that ##a## is some power of ##2##.

If ##a\in Q^+## please state what you have to prove to show ##aRa##. Do it in response to this post, not by editing something previous.

Reflexive:
Assume ##a \in Q^+##.
If ##a \in Q^+## and ##\frac{a}{a} \in \{2^{m}: m\in Z\}##, then ##aRa##.

Since, ##\frac{a}{a} \equiv 1 \equiv {2^0}, 0 \in Z##, then ##aRa##.

Is this right?

Yes, you're getting there! But, let me tidy things up for you, as you're still thinking a little back to front. And, there's no need for equivalent signs rather than equal signs:

[tex]Let \ a \in Q^+[/tex]
[tex]\frac{a}{a} = 1 = 2^0 \in H \ as\ 0 \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
[tex]∴ \ aRa[/tex]
[tex]∴ \ R \ is \ reflexive
[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks, Perok and LCKurtz.
Now, I want to prove symmetry.
Let ##a,b \in Q^+##

## \frac{a}{b} = 2^m \in H; \frac{b}{a} = 2^n \in H## for some m,n ##\in \mathbb{Z}##

Then, ##aRb, bRa##

and R is symmetric.

Is this correct?

I'm afraid not, I'm sorry to say. To prove symmetry you need to show that:

For a, b in Q+, aRb => bRa

In other words, if aRb, then bRa.

This stuff's hard until you get your head round what the hell is going on!

Ok.
##a,b \in Q^+ ##

If ## aRb , \frac{a}{b} \in H## for some ##2^m , m \in Z##

or ##\frac{a}{b} = 2^m##

Solve for b/a:

## \frac{1}{2^m} = \frac{2^0}{2^m} = 2^{-m} = \frac{b}{a}##

Then, ##\frac{b}{a} = 2^{-m} \in H##

So, ##aRb ## implies ## bRa##

Correct

Yes, you've got it!

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two elements in a set. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that for any element a in the set, it is related to itself (reflexive), and if a is related to b, then b is also related to a (symmetric), and if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c (transitive).

2. How is an equivalence relation different from other types of relations?

An equivalence relation is different from other types of relations because it satisfies all three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Other types of relations may only satisfy one or two of these properties.

3. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include: equality (x = y), congruence (x ≡ y mod n), and similarity (x ∼ y). In each of these examples, the relation satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

4. How are equivalence relations used in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are used in mathematics to classify or group elements in a set. They are also used to define equivalence classes, which are subsets of a set that contain all elements that are related to each other by the equivalence relation. Equivalence relations are also important in algebra, topology, and other branches of mathematics.

5. Can an equivalence relation be computed or proven?

Yes, an equivalence relation can be computed or proven using mathematical techniques such as proofs, diagrams, or tables. In some cases, it may be easier to show that a relation is not an equivalence relation by finding a counterexample that violates one of the three properties. In other cases, proving that a relation satisfies all three properties may require more complex mathematical reasoning.