Equivalence Relations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding relations that satisfy certain properties, specifically being reflexive, symmetric, or transitive. It is mentioned that a relation can be both reflexive and symmetric, both reflexive and transitive, or both symmetric and transitive, but not all three at the same time. Examples of relations that satisfy these properties are provided, using the notation (a,b) to denote that a is related to b. It is also mentioned that not all relations have to satisfy all three properties, and examples of relations that are only reflexive or only transitive are given. Finally, the concept of > as a relation is discussed and its properties are analyzed.
vvvidenov

Homework Statement

Find relations that satisfying
just Reflexive
just Symmrtic
just Transitive

(R) & (S), but not (T)
(R) & (T), but not (S)
(S) & (T), but not (R)

Homework Equations

S=Z

(a,b) [tex]\in[/tex]R if <=> a>b (T) but, not (S) & (R).

the ex is given in the class, but nothing else was explained. I am confused. Please help if you can.

The Attempt at a Solution

How about some cartisian product.
(1,1) (1,2) (1,3)
(2,1) (2,2) (2,3)
(3,1) (3,2) (3,3)

for (1,1) we have equiv. rel (R, S & T)

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem above is first course of Abstarct Algebra. We use textbook (Dan Saracino, second edition).

(a,b) is in R iff a>b. Then (a,a) is not in R as a>a is false. (a,b) in R means (b,a) is not in R as if a>b, b>a is false. And if (a,b) and (b,c) are in R, a>b>c implies a>c so (a,c) is in R. Note in this example (1,1) is NOT in R as 1>1 isn't true.

I think a more intuitive notation is aRb to denote 'a is related to b' where R is a relation. Then aRb iff a>b it's clear that if aRb is true, bRa is false since a>b implies b>a is false. Similarly, aRa is false since a>a is false. But aRb, bRc implies a>b, b>c so a>b>c implies a>b and aRc holds. hence > is a relation which is transitive but not symmetric or reflexive.

Try to think up other relations that satisfy, say, aRa but not aRb -> bRa or aRb, bRc -> aRc

how about
aRb iff a-b[tex]\geq[/tex]0
not (S), but is (T) and (R)

I can't think of example that is only (S) , and only (T). I don't think I understand the differences og being only (R,) only (S), only (T), and when we have (T), but not (R) & (S) and so on.

Thank you so much. I found similar questions with answers and I get it now.

What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between pairs of elements in a set. It states that two elements are considered equivalent if they share certain characteristics or properties.

What are the three properties of an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation must satisfy three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that an element is always equivalent to itself. Symmetry means that if one element is equivalent to another, then the other element is also equivalent to the first. Transitivity means that if one element is equivalent to a second, and the second is equivalent to a third, then the first is also equivalent to the third.

How is an equivalence relation different from an equality relation?

An equivalence relation is a more general concept than an equality relation. While an equality relation only considers whether two elements are the same, an equivalence relation allows for elements to be equivalent based on shared characteristics or properties.

What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include: "is the same color as," "is congruent to," and "has the same birthday as." These all define relationships between elements in a set based on shared characteristics or properties.

How are equivalence relations used in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are used in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and set theory. They are used to define relationships between elements in a set and to simplify mathematical concepts and proofs. They are also used in computer science and other fields that involve data analysis and classification.