Is RxS an Equivalence Relation on ExF?

In summary, to prove that RxS is an equivalence relation, you need to show that it satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This can be done by showing that the elements (a,b) (RxS) (a,b) satisfy these properties, and then extending it to all other elements in ExF.
snaidu228

Homework Statement

I need a little help in understand this question:

Let E and F be two sets, R a binary relation on the set E and S a binary relation on the set F. We define a binary relation, denoted RxS, on the set ExF in the following way ("coordinate- wise"):
(a,b) (RxS) (c,d) <--> aRc and bSd.
If R and S are equivalence relations, prove that RxS is an equivalence relation.

Homework Equations

unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I said aRc => (a,c) and bSd=> (b,d)

I assumed that aRc and bSd are from ExF.
I'm not sure that what I am doing is right

Physics news on Phys.org
ExF is the set of ordered pairs (x,y) where x is in E and y is in F. You have (a,b) and (c,d) are elements in ExF, so this means a and c are elements of E while b and d are elements of F.

To show that RxS is an equivalence relation, you need to show it satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

snaidu228 said:

Homework Statement

I need a little help in understand this question:

Let E and F be two sets, R a binary relation on the set E and S a binary relation on the set F. We define a binary relation, denoted RxS, on the set ExF in the following way ("coordinate- wise"):
(a,b) (RxS) (c,d) <--> aRc and bSd.
If R and S are equivalence relations, prove that RxS is an equivalence relation.

Homework Equations

unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I said aRc => (a,c) and bSd=> (b,d)

I assumed that aRc and bSd are from ExF.
I'm not sure that what I am doing is right

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between elements of a set. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

2. How is an equivalence relation different from an equality relation?

An equivalence relation is a more general concept than an equality relation. While an equality relation only checks if two elements are exactly equal, an equivalence relation allows for elements to be considered equal in certain circumstances.

3. What are some real-life examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations in everyday life include: - The relation of "is the same age as" between people- The relation of "is a synonym of" between words - The relation of "is congruent to" between geometric figures

4. What is the importance of equivalence relations in mathematics?

Equivalence relations play a crucial role in various mathematical fields, such as algebra, geometry, and logic. They help to classify objects and establish patterns, which can lead to the discovery of new mathematical concepts and theorems.

5. How can we determine if a relation is an equivalence relation?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, we need to check if it satisfies the three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. If it meets all three criteria, then it is an equivalence relation.