1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence Relations

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of these relations on {0, 1, 2, 3} are equivalence relations? Determine the properties of an equivalence relation that the others lack

a) { (0,0), (0,2), (2,0), (2,2), (2,3), (3,2), (3,3) }

This one is not reflexive

2. Relevant equations
    I understand that reflective means a=a, but I don't understand how this one isn't. I think the real issue here is that I obviously don't understand exactly what reflexive really means.

Any help would be GREAT as I have an exam tomorrow morning and this is proving to be more difficult than I expected.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For the relation R to be reflexive, you must have aRa for all a in {0, 1, 2, 3}.

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3
    I apologize, but can you spell it out for me? I guess I don't understand why (1,1) is the problem, but not (1,0) and (0,1).

Thanks!

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you understand what the ordered pair (1,0) means in the context of relations?

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5
    I think it means, in order to me an Equivalence Relation, there must also exist (0,1). Correct?

7. Jun 18, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why would it mean that?

8. Jun 18, 2012 #7
    As an exercise, try finding the smallest set containing the above, which is also an equivalence relation. This idea, the completion of a set, is a pervasive one in advanced maths.

9. Jun 18, 2012 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Let ##a, b \in X## and ##R \subset X\times X##. When you say ##(a,b)\in R##, it means aRb, that is, a is related to b.

For a relation R to be reflexive, you must have that for every element a in X, aRa or, in ordered-pair notation, ##(a,a) \in R##. Do you see now why your problem's R isn't reflexive?

10. Jun 18, 2012 #9
    Reflexive doesn't mean a = a. The equality is a relation of equivalence, but a relation of equivalence need not be "=".

11. Jun 18, 2012 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Reflexive means "if a is in the set, then (a, a) must be in the relation". 1 is in the set. Is (1, 1) in the relation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook