Equivalence Relations on Z: Proving m~n and Describing the Partition

In summary: Are ##m## and ##n## integers? If so, then ##m \equiv n\,(mod 10)## if and only if ##m - n = 10x## for some integer ##x##. That is, if ##m## and ##n## have the same remainder when divided by 10. An example should make it clear: 27 = 2(10) + 7 and 31 = 3(10) + 1. 27 and 31 have the same remainder (7) when divided by 10, so 27 - 31 = -4 = 10(-1) and 27 - 31 = 4 =
nitenglo
Prove that the following is an equivalence relation on the indicated set. Then describe the partition associated with the equivalence relation.

1. In Z, let m~n iff m-n is a multiple of 10.
2. The attempt at a solution

Reflexive: m-n = 0

0 Z, and 0 is a multiple of every number, therefore, m~n

Symmetric:
1. m~n
2. m-n = 0 Z, and 0 is a multiple of every number
3. -(m-n) = 0 Z, and 0 is a multiple of every number

4. -(m-n) = n-m = 0 Z, and 0 is a multiple of every number
5. Therefore, n~m

Transitive:
1. m~n and n~t
. and n-t = 0 Z, and 0 is a multiple of every number
3. (m-n)+(n-t) = m-t = 0 Z, and 0 is a multiple of every number
4. Therefore, m~t

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have have asserted that various numbers are "in the indicated set", but you haven't given any proof they are.

I edited the problem.

Last edited:
For part 2 I think what you mean to say is n - n = 0 (which is clearly divisible by 10). In this problem you're not looking for the difference to be 0, but rather a multiple of 10 (say 10x for some integer x), or that 10 divides their difference.

Thank you fourier...can you take a look at the work I did for proving m~n and see if it is correct.

nitenglo said:

To prove the relation is reflexive, what you must prove is that [itex] m \sim m [/itex].

Symmetric:
1. m~n

It isn't true that [itex] m-n [/itex] must be zero. You probably mean that [itex] m-n = 0 (mod \ 10) [/itex].

Transitive:
1. m~n and n~t

It is not true that m-n must be zero.

nitenglo said:
Prove that the following is an equivalence relation on the indicated set. Then describe the partition associated with the equivalence relation.

0 Z, and 0 is a multiple of every number, therefore, m~n

Symmetric:
1. m~n

5. Therefore, n~m

Transitive:
1. m~n and n~t
4. Therefore, m~t
Please, only edit the Original Post to correct typos and/or errors in the statement of the problem. Additionally, edit the OP to supply any essential information you may have initially left out. It may help clarify matters, if you indicate what is changed in the edit.

If you are making corrections to your solution of a problem, it's best to add another post to the thread. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to follow the sequence of events in the thread.

nitenglo said:
Thank you fourier...can you take a look at the work I did for proving m~n and see if it is correct.

for part 2 you start with ##m \sim n## which in this case means m - n = 10x for some x ∈ ℤ & you have to show ##n \sim m##. Part 3 is a bit more complicated because you have ##m \sim n## which means m - n = 10x for x ∈ ℤ & ##n \sim t## which means n - t = 10y for y ∈ ℤ.

Last edited:
nitenglo said:

You mean m~m. Then m- m= 0.

0 Z, and
0 is a multiple of every number, therefore, m~n

Symmetric:
1. m~n
No, if m~n then m- n is a multiple of 10, not necessarily 0.

5. Therefore, n~m

Transitive:
1. m~n and n~t
[/quote]
Again, no! m-n is a multiple of 10, not necessarily 0. m-n= 10k, for some integer k and n- t= 10j for some integer j. So m- t is equal to what?

4. Therefore, m~t

Sorry I forgot to post this earlier...this is what I have came up with so far...

Reflexive: m-n = m=n mod 10. ∈ ℤ and is a divisible by 10 (same as being a multiple) Therefore, m~n

Symmetric: m~n = m-n = n mod 10. ∈ ℤ and is a divisible by 10. Then -(m-n)= n-m = n=m mod 10. Therefore, n~m

Transitive: ?? I am kind of stuck here... I know that if m~n and n~t then show m~t.

I think that it goes like this...

n= t= m mod 10. and m=n= t mod 10 therefore m~t.

But I am not sure.

You're trying to prove ##m \sim n## is an equivalence relation, where ##m \sim n## if ##m \equiv n\, (mod 10)##, so what does it mean when ##m \equiv n\, (mod 10)##? For symmetry for example the problem is to show if ##m \equiv n\, (mod 10)## then ##n \equiv m\, (mod 10)##, how would you do that?

So I redid it again...here it goes.

Reflexive: let n∈ℤ, then for any n∈ℤ n-n=0 is a multiple of 10. ∴ n~n

Symmetric: Let m, n∈ℤ and m~n. Then m-n is a multiple of 10. That is m-n ≡ 10k, k∈ℤ and n-m ≡ 10(-k), -k∈ℤ. ∴ n-m is a multiple of 10 and n~m.

Transitive: Let m, n, p∈ℤ and m~n, n~p. Then m-n, n-p are multiples of 10. That is m-n ≡ 10k1 and n-p≡10k2, k1, k2∈ℤ. Now (m-n)+(n-p) ≡ 10k1 + 10k2, k1, k2∈ℤ ≡ 10 (k1 + k2), k1, k2 ∈ℤ ≡ m-p ∴ m-p is a multiple of 10 and m~n, n~p shows that m~p.

Partition:

Fix n∈ℤ. Then m~n and m-n is a multiple of 10.
m-n = 10k, k∈ℤ
m= n+10k, k∈ℤ
∴ n= {m: m= n+10k, k∈ℤ} =n+10k : k, ∈ℤ

I thought you had to show that you get a partition of the integers but they just want a description... I think I get what you did for that part but maybe you could clean it up & actually describe in words what all that means. The rest looks ok to me.

Certainly your notation is bad- "n= {m: m= n+10k, k∈ℤ}" you have an integer, n, equal to a set of integers!
Perhaps you meant "[n]' on the left, indicating the equivalence class n is in. Of course, there are only 10 such equivalence classes. You could just write each out:
{0, 10, -10, 20, -20, ...}, {1, 11, -9, 21, -19, ...}, etc.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two elements in a set. It is a relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, meaning that it relates every element to itself, is bidirectional, and follows the "if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is related to c" rule.

2. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include "is equal to" in mathematics, "is the same age as" in a group of people, and "is a synonym of" in language. Any relation that satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity can be considered an equivalence relation.

3. How are equivalence relations different from other types of relations?

Equivalence relations are different from other types of relations, such as partial or total orders, because they do not impose any type of hierarchy or ranking among elements in a set. Instead, they establish a sense of equality or sameness among elements.

4. How are equivalence relations used in real-world applications?

Equivalence relations have many real-world applications, such as in computer science for data partitioning and classification, in social sciences for group and network analysis, and in linguistics for synonymy and semantic analysis. They also play a crucial role in understanding and solving problems in fields such as economics, physics, and psychology.

5. What is the importance of equivalence relations in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are essential in mathematics because they help identify and define important structures and properties in different mathematical systems. They are also used to construct new mathematical objects and to prove theorems and propositions. Equivalence relations are the basis for many concepts in abstract algebra, topology, and other branches of mathematics.