1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1
    I've wondered about this. The book for my logic course (now done with) had no rule for creating equivalences. If you had A <--> B, by the system in the book you couldn't replace occurrences of A with B and occurrences of B with A. You'd have to break down A <--> B with material equivalence and work from there.

Is there any particular reason for that?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You're talking about a natural deduction system? I think it may take several rules to state. The English statement would be something like, "If P and Q are equivalent, then you can replace any occurence of P with Q and any occurence of Q with P." Right? So this would be an inference rule (and I don't see how you could state it as a replacement rule). I don't see anyway to translate "any occurence of P" and "any occurence of Q" into a single rule. It seems you would need an inference rule for each type of proposition in which P or Q could occur. For instance, one rule would be
    (P <-> Q)
    (P -> R)
    .: (Q -> R)
    but you would need a different rule for when P occurs as the consequent, when P occurs in a conjunction, etc. You may also need another commutation rule for equivalences [(P <-> Q) <=> (Q <-> P)]. I don't know, I'm not quite awake yet. Does that make sense to you?

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    No, you could say it similar to how instantiation and generalization rules are stated for predicate logic. "If P <--> Q and S(Q) is a statement containing at least one instance of Q and S(Q) appears on some line, then S(P), a statement replacing one or more instances of Q in S(Q) with P, can be inferred." Rules don't have to be stated in the language of the inference system; they just have to be stated clearly so that they can be applied in the inference system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?