Equivalent Capacitance of Concentric Spheres

In summary, the problem involves six concentric conducting spheres with different radii. Two of the spheres are connected by a conducting wire, and the goal is to determine the equivalent capacitance of the system. The correct equation to use is 1/C = 1/Cab + 1/Ccd + 1/Cef, and when substituting values for the radii, it is important to remember that they are not all equal. The final answer should be 40R/27k, with units in Farads (F).
TheSoftAttack
Hey guys! This problem has been perplexing me for ages, and everything I do to try to solve it doesn't seem to work. So I was wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction. Anyway:

Homework Statement

The figure below shows six concentric conducting spheres, a, b, c, d, e, and f having radii R, 2 R, 3 R, 5 R, 6 R, and 8 R, respectively. Spheres b and c are connected by a conducting wire, as are spheres d and e. Determine the equivalent capacitance of this system.

Spheres.png

Homework Equations

I believe the equation needed for this problem is the equation for a spherical capacitor (with just two concentric spheres). This equation is C = ab/k(b-a), where a and b are the radii of the two spheres, k = 1/(4piε₀) and C is the capacitance.

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea for this problem was that the spheres would essentially act like a set of conductors in series. Since spheres B and C; and spheres D and E are connected, they will be equipotential, and so we are left with only three conductors. I thought the capacitance should be given by the equation 1/C = 1/Cab + 1/Ccd + 1/Cef.

Thus, 1/C = k(b-a)/ab + k(d-c)/cd + k(f-e)/ef

And finally, C = k[(b-a)/ab + (d-c)/cd + (f-e)/ef]

Substituting in a = R, b = 2R, c = 3R, d = 5R, e = 6R, and f = 8R, I got:

C = k[(2R-R)/(2R*R) + (5R-3R)/(5R*3R) + (8R-6R)/(8R*6R)]
C = k[R/(2R^2) + 2R/(15R^2) + 2R/(48R^2)]
C = k[1/2R + 2/15R + 1/24R]
C = 27k/40R

This isn't right though, so I have no idea what to do from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh wow, I figured out what I had done wrong as soon as I posted this. The answer I originally got was actually 1/C. C would be 40R/27k. Well, that's embarrassing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It looks like you are on the right track with your solution. However, there are a few things that you could adjust to make it more accurate.

First, when finding the equivalent capacitance of a system, it is important to remember that the capacitors are connected in parallel, not in series. This means that the equation should be 1/C = 1/Cab + 1/Ccd + 1/Cef. This will give you the correct answer of 40R/27k.

Secondly, when substituting in the values for the radii, it is important to remember that the radii are not all equal. In the equation, you have used a = R, b = 2R, c = 3R, d = 5R, e = 6R, and f = 8R. However, this is not the case for all of the spheres. For example, sphere a has a radius of R, but sphere b has a radius of 2R, not R + 1. This may be where you got the incorrect answer of 27k/40R.

Lastly, make sure to double check your calculations and units. It looks like you may have mixed up the order of operations in your final calculation, as the units should be in Farads (F), not Farads multiplied by meters (F*m). If you make these adjustments, your final answer should be more accurate.

I hope this helps and good luck with your future problem solving!

What is the formula for calculating the equivalent capacitance of concentric spheres?

The formula for calculating the equivalent capacitance of concentric spheres is: C = 4πε0εr(ab)/(b-a), where C is the equivalent capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the spheres, a is the radius of the inner sphere, and b is the radius of the outer sphere.

What is the relative permittivity of air?

The relative permittivity of air, εr, is approximately equal to 1. This value may vary slightly depending on temperature, pressure, and humidity.

How does the distance between the spheres affect the equivalent capacitance?

The distance between the concentric spheres, represented by (b-a) in the formula, is inversely proportional to the equivalent capacitance. This means that as the distance between the spheres increases, the equivalent capacitance decreases.

What happens to the equivalent capacitance if the relative permittivity of the material between the spheres changes?

If the relative permittivity of the material between the spheres changes, the equivalent capacitance will also change. A higher relative permittivity will result in a higher equivalent capacitance, while a lower relative permittivity will result in a lower equivalent capacitance.

Can the equivalent capacitance of concentric spheres be greater than the capacitance of the larger sphere?

Yes, it is possible for the equivalent capacitance of concentric spheres to be greater than the capacitance of the larger sphere. This can occur when the distance between the spheres is small and the relative permittivity of the material between the spheres is high.