What is the equivalent capacitance for this circuit?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the equivalent capacitance for a circuit. The equations for calculating capacitance in parallel and series were discussed. The attempt at solving the problem included identifying and solving components in series with no junctions in between. The final result was 3μF, which both parties agreed was correct.
KeithLucas

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the equivalent capacitance for a circuit, but I keep getting stuck.

Homework Equations

C(parallel)=C1+C2+...Cn
C(series)={(1/C1)+(1/C2)+(1/C3)+...(1/Cn)}^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

See the first penciled attachment.

Attachments

• CCF11142012_0000.jpg
    CCF11142012_0000.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 411
  • CCF11142012_0002.jpg
    CCF11142012_0002.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
KeithLucas said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the equivalent capacitance for a circuit, but I keep getting stuck.

Homework Equations

C(parallel)=C1+C2+...Cn

I would start by solving everything that is in series with no junctions in between. That should clean it up a bit. If you still have trouble, post your drawing again after doing that.

superdave said:
I would start by solving everything that is in series with no junctions in between. That should clean it up a bit. If you still have trouble, post your drawing again after doing that.

Which ones are in series with no junctions in between? I've posted the original circuit in one attachment, but another attachment has my attempt where I thought I solved everything in series.

KeithLucas said:
Which ones are in series with no junctions in between?
Top and top left.

KeithLucas said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

C(parallel)=C1+C2+...Cn

your penciled attempt work out to be 3μF, which is same as mine and i think it is correct.

Last edited:

1. What is equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance is the total capacitance of a circuit that can replace multiple capacitors connected in parallel or series while maintaining the same amount of stored charge and voltage.

2. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance?

The formula for calculating equivalent capacitance depends on how the capacitors are connected. For capacitors in parallel, the equivalent capacitance is the sum of all the individual capacitances. For capacitors in series, the equivalent capacitance is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance.

3. Why is equivalent capacitance important?

Equivalent capacitance is important because it simplifies complex circuits with multiple capacitors into a single equivalent capacitor. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel capacitors?

In series capacitors, the capacitors are connected one after the other, with the same amount of charge stored on each capacitor. In parallel capacitors, the capacitors are connected side by side, with the same voltage applied to each capacitor.

5. Can capacitors with different values be combined to create an equivalent capacitance?

Yes, capacitors with different values can be combined to create an equivalent capacitance. However, it is important to note that the overall capacitance will be closer to the value of the larger capacitor and the voltage across each capacitor will be different.