1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Capacitance

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Reduce the circuit below into a single equivalent capacitor at terminals a,b. Assume all initial voltages at t = 0 are zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, this is the circuit I had in mind when I made this thread earlier
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4684447#post4684447

My first thought was to take all the capacitors that to me look to be in parallel and combine them. I said that they are in parallel because they share at least 2 nodes on both sides of the components.

Then, I said the capacitors on the left side are in series. There is a lot of doubt in my decision here. I say that because they all 3 share the same node on only one side of their component, so I called them in series.

Then, after that the rest are clearly in series so I combined them.

Also, I wonder why it matters what terminals I choose to find the equivalent capacitance between, and what would happen if I chose different terminals?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Your understanding of series and parallel combination is still wrong. After you combined the parallels, you say the left 3 are in series.. how is that? If you have gone through the thread you have linked, it contains an answer to the trick.

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

I say they are in series because they all share one node on one side of the component.

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

Alright, I redid it saying the 2C capacitors were in series. However, how do I know the current is the same? I mean, the charges land on the capacitor and don't go to the other side, is the current on a capacitor the same on both sides of the capacitor for one component?

Attached Files:

6. Mar 10, 2014 #5

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

That's where you have gone wrong. Only two of them can share a point in series.

7. Mar 10, 2014 #6

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Yes. That's why it is 'current through a capacitor'

8. Mar 10, 2014 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maylis - Your answer in #4 looks correct.

Yes. Electrons going I one side repel electrons out of the other side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted