What Are These Two Equations for Equivalent Capacitor Circuits?

In summary: I will definitely check them out, I appreciate it.In summary, the equations V[eq][/SUB] = V[in][/SUB] and R[eq][/SUB] = -(V[oc][/SUB] / I[oc][/SUB] ) are not making sense to me. I am wondering if the textbook has an error. There is a book called Introduction to Circuit Analysis by Boylestad and Nashelsky that might be helpful.
Puglife
I do not understand these two equations V[eq][/SUB] = V[in][/SUB] and R[eq][/SUB] = -(V[oc][/SUB] / I[oc][/SUB] )

Your help is much appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Puglife said:
I do not understand these two equations V[eq][/SUB] = V[in][/SUB] and R[eq][/SUB] = -(V[oc][/SUB] / I[oc][/SUB] )

Your help is much appreciated
Not sure what text method you are using but whatever it is, it is showing up for me as WAY too many characters.

Hmm, that's really strange that that happened, What it was suppose to say is that the equivalent voltage = voltage in, and equivalent resistance = -(voltage open circuit / Amperage open circuit)

Puglife said:
Hmm, that's really strange that that happened, What it was suppose to say is that the equivalent voltage = voltage in, and equivalent resistance = -(voltage open circuit / Amperage open circuit)
You'll still need to show a specific circuit for that to make any sense to me.

img87.gif

This is exactly what they had, which is what confused me, cause their was no defined output

Puglife said:
img87.gif

This is exactly what they had, which is what confused me, cause their was no defined output
Well, I'm confused too. I can't see how the statements apply to that circuit.

phinds said:
Well, I'm confused too. I can't see how the statements apply to that circuit.
ok, imma then assume that the textbook just had an error, because they have a lot of them. Thanks for your time

It's me again, check out introduction to circuit analysis from Boylestad and Nashelsky. Equivalent capacitor, inductor and resistor circuits are covered In that book in a very Clear way.

Guidestone said:
It's me again, check out introduction to circuit analysis from Boylestad and Nashelsky. Equivalent capacitor, inductor and resistor circuits are covered In that book in a very Clear way.
is their any way you can supply a link to a pdf of the book, or some sort of text, because I do not have much money at all, I am living in the struggle right now.

With this link You can view it online
http://es.slideshare.net/mushfiqurrahman1428/introductory-circuit-analysis-39051662

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know if it doesn't load

Guidestone said:
Let me know if it doesn't load
It loaded, but are you sure this is a very good resource, have you read it yourself, because its a little over 100 pages on capacitors and inductors, which is a pretty large chunk of time, I just want to make sure

Puglife, are you learning on your own?

Guidestone said:
Puglife, are you learning on your own?
yea, that most of the reason I joined physics forums, cause I don't really have anyone else to ask.

Your aim is electrical engineering?

Thats what I would like to start out with, I will always be trying to learn more in life, and however long this takes me to learn ee, will allow me to gauge how long it will take me to learn more, like nuclear science, or programming.

Very Nice, well then, as you get further in your learning you can check out the other books from Boylestad, all of them refer to electronics, they are very well explained.

Thanks man

1. What is an equivalent capacitor circuit?

An equivalent capacitor circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains multiple capacitors. It combines the individual capacitors into a single, equivalent capacitor that has the same overall effect on the circuit as the original arrangement.

2. Why are equivalent capacitor circuits used?

Equivalent capacitor circuits are used to simplify circuit analysis and design. By replacing multiple capacitors with a single equivalent capacitor, the circuit becomes easier to understand and work with. It also allows for more efficient use of space and materials in electronic devices.

3. How are equivalent capacitor circuits calculated?

The equivalent capacitance of a circuit can be calculated using either series or parallel capacitor combinations. For series combinations, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. For parallel combinations, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual capacitances.

4. What are the limitations of equivalent capacitor circuits?

Equivalent capacitor circuits assume that the capacitors are ideal and do not take into account factors such as parasitic capacitance and leakage current. Therefore, they may not accurately reflect the behavior of a real circuit. Additionally, equivalent capacitor circuits may not be applicable in circuits with non-linear components.

5. How are equivalent capacitor circuits used in practical applications?

Equivalent capacitor circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and power supplies. They allow for efficient use of space and materials, and make it easier to design and analyze complex circuits. Equivalent capacitor circuits are also used in circuit simulation software to model the behavior of electronic circuits.