Counting Equivalent Classes in Arbitrary Groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalent representations and equivalent classes in relation to the quaternion group. The participants have different understandings of what an equivalent class is, but it is clarified that an equivalent class is formed of elements related by a similarity transformation, similar to a conjugate class. The main question is then how to find the conjugate elements of the quaternion group.
Magister
Is it possible to know how many equivalent class has an arbitrary group?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is not very clear, can you try to restate it?

do you mean conjugacy classes?

Sorry, I was a bit sleepy and very tired when I wrote that post.

What I wanted to ask was, is there a way to know how many equivalent representations a group can have?
For example the quaternions group,

[tex]
Q=\{\pm 1, \pm i, \pm j, \pm k\}
[/tex]

Has this group a finite number of equivalent representations?

May be I am not understanding at all what is an equivalent representation and equivalent class...

Thanks for the replies

Given any representation there is a proper class of isomorphic representations, never mind finitely many. Do you mean representations or do you mean presentations? In anycase, the answer is 'no, there will be infinitely many (equivalent) presentations'.

Just what I though. The problem is that I am asked to find the equivalent classes of the quaternion group and so I am confused. An equivalent class is form of many equivalent representations (and I do mean representation) or I just need one to specify each class?

You still haven't defined "equivalent class".

I think I have finally got it. An equivalence class is formed of elements which are related to each other by some similarity transformation. This is equivalent to a conjugate class and so my problem then resumes in finding the conjugate elements of the quaternions group which are {1,i,j,k}.

Thanks for you participation.

1. How do you determine equivalent classes?

Equivalent classes are determined by grouping elements together based on a specific criteria. The elements within each group share the same properties or characteristics.

2. What is the significance of equivalent classes in mathematics?

Equivalent classes play a crucial role in mathematics, especially in the study of sets, relations, and functions. They allow us to categorize and organize elements in a systematic way, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.

3. Can equivalent classes be applied in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, equivalent classes can also be applied in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and biology. They provide a useful framework for organizing and analyzing data in these fields.

4. How many equivalent classes can there be?

The number of equivalent classes depends on the size and complexity of the set being studied. In some cases, there may only be a few equivalent classes, while in others, there may be an infinite number of them.

5. Are equivalent classes the same as equal classes?

No, equivalent classes are not the same as equal classes. Equal classes have exactly the same elements, while equivalent classes have elements that share certain properties or characteristics. For example, in a set of shapes, the circle and square may be equivalent classes because they both have the property of being closed and having no corners, but they are not equal because they have different shapes.