Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Class

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    Is it possible to know how many equivalent class has an arbitrary group?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2
    Your question is not very clear, can you try to restate it?

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

do you mean conjugacy classes?

5. Nov 2, 2007 #4
    Sorry, I was a bit sleepy and very tired when I wrote that post.

What I wanted to ask was, is there a way to know how many equivalent representations a group can have?
    For example the quaternions group,

[tex]
    Q=\{\pm 1, \pm i, \pm j, \pm k\}
    [/tex]

Has this group a finite number of equivalent representations?

May be I am not understanding at all what is an equivalent representation and equivalent class...

Thanks for the replies

6. Nov 2, 2007 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Given any representation there is a proper class of isomorphic representations, never mind finitely many. Do you mean representations or do you mean presentations? In anycase, the answer is 'no, there will be infinitely many (equivalent) presentations'.

7. Nov 2, 2007 #6
    Just what I though. The problem is that I am asked to find the equivalent classes of the quaternion group and so I am confused. An equivalent class is form of many equivalent representations (and I do mean representation) or I just need one to specify each class?

8. Nov 2, 2007 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You still haven't defined "equivalent class".

9. Nov 3, 2007 #8
    I think I have finally got it. An equivalence class is formed of elements which are related to each other by some similarity transformation. This is equivalent to a conjugate class and so my problem then resumes in finding the conjugate elements of the quaternions group which are {1,i,j,k}.

Thanks for you participation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?