Equivalent conditions for hermitian matrix

In summary, the three conditions for a hermitian matrix A to be positively definite are equivalent: 1) A is positively definite, 2) all eigenvalues of A are positive, and 3) there exists a regular matrix U such that A = U^H U. In order to prove this, we can use the theorem that states A is hermitian if there exists a unitary matrix R such that A = R^H DR, where D is a diagonal matrix. Additionally, we can use the fact that the diagonalization of a hermitian matrix is not unique and re-ordering the basis can lead to different R and D matrices. Therefore, the two R matrices in the theorems are not
twoflower
Let's have hermitian matrix A. Then these three conditions are equivalent:

1) A is positively definite

[tex]
\forall x \in \mathbb{C}^{n} \ {0} : x^{H}Ax > 0
[/tex]

2) All eigenvalues of A are positive
3) There exists regular matrix U such that

[tex]
A = U^{H}U
[/tex]

Proof:

[tex]
2) \Rightarrow 3)
[/tex]

A is hermitian => [itex]\exists[/itex] unitary matrix R such that

[tex]
A = R^{H}DR
[/tex]
where D is diagonal matrix.

This is what I don't understand - we know that if A is hermitian, there exists R unitary such that

[tex]
R^{-1}AR = D \mbox{ diagonal \\}
[/tex]

[tex]
AR = RD
[/tex]

[tex]
A = RDR^{-1}
[/tex]

And because R is unitary

[tex]
R^{-1} = R^{H}
[/tex]

[tex]
A = RDR^{H}
[/tex]

This isn't imho equivalent to

[tex]
A = R^{H}DR
[/tex]

is it?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't quite figure out the best answer, but it as along the general lines of "so what?" Are you claiming R is unique and that it must be written as AR=RD? what is wrong with saying there is a unitary S such that SA=DS? they are equivalent.

but i can't tell what your problem is; indeed RDR^H and R^HDR are almost always different, but so what?

matt grime said:
I can't quite figure out the best answer, but it as along the general lines of "so what?" Are you claiming R is unique and that it must be written as AR=RD?

I'm not sure whether R is unique. Anyway, I have theorem (the one I wrote into another post):

A is hermitian => there exists R unitary such that

[tex]
R^{-1}AR\mbox{ is diagonal matrix}
[/tex]

From this I can get:

[tex]
R^{-1}AR = D
[/tex]

[tex]
AR = RD
[/tex]

[tex]
A = RDR^{-1} = RDR^{H}
[/tex]

But, the proof of the theorem about equivalent conditions for hermitian matrix says, that

[tex]
A = R^{H}DR
[/tex]

How can I achieve this? I can't see that..

matt grime said:
what is wrong with saying there is a unitary S such that SA=DS? they are equivalent.

Well, that's the point. Why are they equivalent? I just want to use the theorem

[tex]
R^{-1}AR\mbox{ is diagonal matrix}
[/tex]

which I know is true.

You are assuming that the R's in both those theorems are the same; they are not and there is no reason to be. rename the R as S in the first part and we know

A is hermitian if there is a unitary S such that

S*AS=E (using * for the H operation)

where E is diagonal with real entries

Ie A=SES*

right?

now the therem you wnat to prove states as a acondition that there is a unitary R and a diagoanl real D such that A=R*DR

well, they are equivalent if I let D=E and R=S*

there is nothing that states the diagonaliztaion of a hermitian matrix is unique (it isn't; reorder the basis).

you at least see they are equivalent? why must those two R's be the same? Or for that matter, the D?

matt grime said:
You are assuming that the R's in both those theorems are the same; they are not and there is no reason to be. rename the R as S in the first part and we know

A is hermitian if there is a unitary S such that

S*AS=E (using * for the H operation)

where E is diagonal with real entries

Ie A=SES*

right?

now the therem you wnat to prove states as a acondition that there is a unitary R and a diagoanl real D such that A=R*DR

well, they are equivalent if I let D=E and R=S*

there is nothing that states the diagonaliztaion of a hermitian matrix is unique (it isn't; reorder the basis).

you at least see they are equivalent? why must those two R's be the same? Or for that matter, the D?

Thank you very much Matt, now I'm completely clear about that matter. My fault that I was interpreting the theorem too literally and the substitution R = S* didn't come to my mind. Your answers teach me more that studying from lecture notes :redface:

if soemthing states "there is an R" for example, note it is just a label; labelling two things with the same letter here was exactly the problem. lectuer notes won't teach you that since they assume that you won't do that.

What is a hermitian matrix?

A hermitian matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that the elements on the main diagonal are real numbers, and the elements above and below the main diagonal are complex conjugates of each other.

What are the equivalent conditions for a matrix to be hermitian?

There are several equivalent conditions for a matrix to be hermitian, including: having real elements on the main diagonal and complex conjugate elements above and below the main diagonal, having all eigenvalues that are real numbers, and satisfying the condition A = A* where A* is the conjugate transpose of A.

Can a non-square matrix be hermitian?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be hermitian. Hermitian matrices are defined as square matrices with specific properties, and a non-square matrix does not meet these criteria.

What is the significance of hermitian matrices in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, hermitian matrices are used to represent observables such as position, momentum, and energy. This is because the eigenvalues of a hermitian matrix are always real, which is necessary for physical observables.

How are hermitian matrices related to unitary matrices?

Hermitian matrices are closely related to unitary matrices, as they are both special types of square matrices. A unitary matrix is one whose inverse is equal to its conjugate transpose, while a hermitian matrix is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that all unitary matrices are also hermitian, but not all hermitian matrices are unitary.