Equivalent distances questions

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, two distances are considered equivalent if they have the same value for any given pair of points. To prove that d1(a,b)<d1(c,d) implies d2(a,b)<d2(c,d), we can use the trichotomy property, which states that for any two real numbers, one and only one of the following must apply: 1) x=y, 2) x<y, or 3) y<x. Since d1(a,b)<d1(c,d), it cannot be true that d1(a,b)=d1(c,d) or that d1(c,d)>d1(a,b). This also implies that the same is true for d2(a,b) and d2(c,d
mnb96
Hello,
two distances [itex]d_1[/itex] and [itex]d_2[/itex] are said to be equivalent if for any two pairs (a,b) and (c,d)

[tex]d_1(a,b)=d_1(c,d) \Leftrightarrow d_2(a,b)=d_2(c,d)[/tex]

How can I (dis)prove that:

[tex]d_1(a,b)<d_1(c,d) \Rightarrow d_2(a,b)<d_2(c,d)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Use "trichotomy". For any two real numbers, x and y, one and only one of these must apply:
1) x= y
2) x< y
3) y< x.

If [itex]d_1(a, b)< d_1(c, d)[/itex] then it is NOT possible that [itex]d_1(a,b)= d_1(c, d)[/itex] nor that [itex]d_1(c, d)> d_1(a, b)[/itex] which implies the same for [itex]d_2(a, b)[/itex] and [itex]d_2(c, d)[/itex].

There is still something bugging my mind.
I think the part of your proof that is giving me troubles is this:
HallsofIvy said:
...which implies the same for [itex]d_2(a, b)[/itex] and [itex]d_2(c, d)[/itex].

How did you prove that "it implies the same for d2(a,b) and d2(c,d)"

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

1. What are equivalent distances questions?

Equivalent distances questions are mathematical problems that involve finding the distance between two points on a number line or coordinate plane. These points may be represented by numbers or coordinates, and the distance between them is the absolute value of the difference between the two values.

2. How do I solve equivalent distances questions?

The first step in solving an equivalent distances question is to identify the two points that you need to find the distance between. Then, subtract the smaller value from the larger value and take the absolute value of the result. This will give you the distance between the two points.

3. Can equivalent distances questions have negative answers?

No, equivalent distances questions always have positive answers. This is because the absolute value of a number is always positive, regardless of its sign. So even if the two points are on opposite sides of the number line, the distance between them will be a positive value.

4. How are equivalent distances questions used in real life?

Equivalent distances questions are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, geography, and physics. They are used to calculate the distance between two locations, the displacement of an object, or the length of a line segment, among other applications.

5. What is the formula for solving equivalent distances questions?

The formula for solving equivalent distances questions is:
Distance = |x2 - x1|
where x1 and x2 are the two points being compared. This formula can be used for both one-dimensional and two-dimensional questions.