1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent dose rate question

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An unprotected radiation worker walks into a room which she knows is sometimes
    used to store high activity sources. She is unaware that, on that particular day, it
    contains an unshielded Co-60 γ source. The source is encapsulated in a material which
    filters out β emissions, but with negligible reduction to the γ emissions. The activity
    of the source is 2.0 × 104
    MBq. Each decay releases two γ photons with individual
    energies 1.17 MeV and 1.33 MeV - a total photon energy E = 2.50 MeV per decay.
    She is standing 6.0 m from the source. Assume the source is approximately a point
    source.
    (a) Calculate the equivalent dose rate (in µSv/h) delivered to the position of the
    worker

2. Relevant equations

I don't know which equation to use

3. The attempt at a solution

I didn't understand how to do the question but I checked the answers and I don't understand how they did this:

H [µSv/h] = 0.14 × 2 ×104 ( MBq) ×(2.50 MeV)/ (6 m)^2
    =194 µSv / h
    ≈190 µSv / h
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is just [factor that takes units and absorption probability into account] * [activity of the source] * [released energy per decay] / [distance squared]. You should find this formula in your book/script/... Which part is unclear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted