Calculating Equivalent Impedance in a Simple AC Circuit - Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with calculating the equivalent impedance of a simple AC circuit with five given impedances. The formula used is Za//Zb = (Za*Zb)/(Za+Zb) for parallel and sum for series components. The calculated result is Z_eq=6,25-i3,75, but the book reports Z_eq=28,33. After further discussion, it is discovered that there was a mistake in the book and the correct value is obtained by setting Z3 = 5 + i20.
tabsquare
hello I have a problem in calculating the equivalent impedance of a simple AC circuit, where the impedances are:

Z1 = 5+i20
Z2 = 5+i20
Z3 = 10-i2,5
Z4 = -i10
Z5 = 5

and I need to find:

Z_eq = Z3 // [(Z1 // Z4) + (Z2 // Z5)]

where the + indicates 2 components in serie and the // indicates 2 components in parallel.

My calculations always bring me to
Z_eq=6,25-i3,75

but my book says Z_eq=28,33.

Which is the correct eqv impedance?

Thank you
PS-I used the formula Za//Zb = (Za*Zb)/(Za+Zb)
to calculate equivalent impedances of two components in parallel, and the sum for components in serie.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's a mistake somewhere.

If I use the values you gave for Z1 to Z5, I get the same result you did.

However, if you set Z3 = 5 + i20, then you will get the result in the book.

Ok then there probably is a mistake in the book because Z3 is in fact equal to 10-i2,5 as I calculated and as the book reports. Lost some time on this stupid mistake...

Thank you very much for taking the time to verify this! :)

Riccardo

What is equivalent impedance?

Equivalent impedance refers to the total impedance of a circuit or network, taking into account all resistive, capacitive, and inductive elements. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

Why is equivalent impedance important?

Equivalent impedance is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex circuits. By simplifying the circuit into a single equivalent impedance, we can easily calculate current, voltage, and power for the entire circuit.

How is equivalent impedance calculated?

Equivalent impedance is calculated using the principles of Ohm's Law and the rules of combination for series and parallel circuits. For a series circuit, the equivalent impedance is simply the sum of all resistive, capacitive, and inductive elements. For a parallel circuit, the equivalent impedance is calculated using the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual impedance.

Can equivalent impedance be complex?

Yes, equivalent impedance can be complex, meaning it has both real and imaginary components. This is common in circuits with inductors and capacitors, which have reactance rather than pure resistance. In these cases, the equivalent impedance is represented as a complex number, with the real component representing the resistance and the imaginary component representing the reactance.

How does equivalent impedance affect circuit performance?

The equivalent impedance of a circuit affects its performance by determining the amount of current that can flow through it. A lower equivalent impedance means more current can flow, resulting in higher power consumption and potentially higher temperatures. Conversely, a higher equivalent impedance will limit the amount of current and power in the circuit.