1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Models

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Hi,

When it comes to the hybrid-pi model and the T-model for the AC equivalents of an FET, what's the exact difference?

For example I know that in a BJT circuit, the hybrid-pi includes the resistance [tex] r_\pi [/tex] in the base while the t-model includes the resistance [tex] r_e = \frac{r_\pi}{1+ \beta} [/tex] in the emitter instead.

In the case of an FET equivalent model, all I can notice is that in the hybrid-pi model, the gate is not connected to the source-drain junction, instead, it's represented as an open circuit given that the gate current is theoretically 0 and thus the FET can be said to have an infinite input impedance.

Also, for some reason, in the T-model there's a resistance included in the source which is equal to [tex] \frac{1}{g_m} [/tex], what does this represent? and why is it omitted in the hybrid-pi model?

I would really appreciate any help, I really need to know this because I have tests soon enough!

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted