1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent norms?

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    Suppose that ||f||= int 01| f(x) | dx and f is a piecewise continuous linear function on the interval [0,1]. If ||| f ||| = int 01 x | f(x) | dx, determine if the two norms are equivalent.

I know the first defines a norm, and the space is not complete. Can anyone offer any hints as to solving this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2
    Well, first of, when are two norms defined to be equivalent? If you know that, one part of the definition is very easily verified. For the other part consider the function

What is then [itex]\frac{||f_{\varepsilon}||}{|||f_{\varepsilon}|||}[/itex]? Conclusion?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3
    i don't quite follow... is that function in the space?
  5. Oct 17, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]\chi_{[0,\varepsilon]}[/itex] is the characteristic function of [itex][0,\varepsilon][/itex], i.e.

[tex]\chi_{[0,\varepsilon]}(x) = \begin{cases} 1 & \text{ if } x \in [0,\varepsilon] \\ 0 & \text{ if } x \in (\varepsilon, 1] \end{cases}.[/tex]
  6. Oct 17, 2008 #5
    That function is certainly piecewise continous and (piecewise) linear und thus in the space you mentioned.
    Thanks for supplying this additional, crucial piece of information that by [itex]\chi_A[/itex] I meant the indicator function of A.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?