1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent norms

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the Euclidean and supremum norms are equivalent norms on R2

3. The attempt at a solution

The Euclidean Norm is
    [tex]\left|\left|[/tex]X[tex]\left|\left|[/tex]1 = [tex]\sqrt{x1^2 + x2^2}[/tex]

The Supremum norm is
    [tex]\left|\left|[/tex]X[tex]\left|\left|[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] = max ([tex]\left|[/tex]x1[tex]\left|[/tex],[tex]\left|[/tex]x2[tex]\left|[/tex])

so for them to be equivalent:

a([tex]\sqrt{x1^2 + x2^2}[/tex])[tex]\leq[/tex] max ([tex]\left|[/tex]x1[tex]\left|[/tex],[tex]\left|[/tex]x2[tex]\left|[/tex]) [tex]\leq[/tex] b([tex]\sqrt{x1^2 + x2^2}[/tex])

I think i'm going right with this?
    im not sure how to work with the supremum norm in the middle?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like a correct algebraic translation of the problem. In more detail, you want to prove:

There exist positive real numbers a and b such that
    For any real numbers x1 and x2
    [tex]a \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \leq \max \{ |x_1|, |x_2| \} \leq b \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2}[/tex]​

The supremum in the middle is not essential -- with a little effort you can rearrange that inequality so that there are suprema is on the outside and one Euclidean norm in the middle. Really, for the purposes of solving for a and b, you probably just want to look at it as two separate inequalities.

4. Feb 20, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, what you have to prove is you can find the a and b. You might start by stating that without loss of generality, you may assume [itex]|x_1| \le |x_2|[/itex], so that:

max{|x1|,|x2|} = |x2|

and work with assumption.

5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    thanks for the help lads

[tex]
    a \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \leq b \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \geq \max \{ |x_1|, |x_2| \} }
    [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]
    a \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \leq b \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \geq |x_2| }
    [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]
    a \leq b \geq |x_2|/\sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} }
    [/tex]

a constant?

6. Feb 20, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just draw a right triangle. Make the lengths of the legs x1 and x2. sqrt(x1^2+x2^2)=h is the length of the hypotenuse. In terms of h, what's the longest the longest leg can be? What's the shortest the longest leg can be?

7. Feb 20, 2010 #6
    the shortest the longest leg can be is x1=x2 so then x2 = [tex]\sqrt{(h^2)/2}[/tex] ?

8. Feb 20, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly. h/sqrt(2). How about the longest the longest leg can be? So the max norm is bounded by constants times the euclidean norm, right?

9. Feb 20, 2010 #8
    the longest the longest leg can be is x1 = 0 so then x2 = h?

10. Feb 20, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have said 'the longest the longest can be is h'. But I think you've got the idea. If h is the hypotenuse, the longest leg is between h and h/sqrt(2).

11. Feb 20, 2010 #10
    ok, so the longest leg is between h and h/sqrt(2), i get that with the triangle but im not sure how it shows the norms are equivalent?sorry and thanks for the help!

12. Feb 20, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hypotenuse is the euclidean norm of the point (x1,x2) in R^2. The longest leg is the max norm of (x1,x2).

13. Feb 20, 2010 #12
    oh god,yes-thanks a million...that actually really,really explains it to me. Damn thanks a million.Thanks dick. Im actually happy now :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook