Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equivalent norms

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the Euclidean and supremum norms are equivalent norms on R2

3. The attempt at a solution

The Euclidean Norm is
    [tex]\left|\left|[/tex]X[tex]\left|\left|[/tex]1 = [tex]\sqrt{x1^2 + x2^2}[/tex]

The Supremum norm is
    [tex]\left|\left|[/tex]X[tex]\left|\left|[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] = max ([tex]\left|[/tex]x1[tex]\left|[/tex],[tex]\left|[/tex]x2[tex]\left|[/tex])

so for them to be equivalent:

a([tex]\sqrt{x1^2 + x2^2}[/tex])[tex]\leq[/tex] max ([tex]\left|[/tex]x1[tex]\left|[/tex],[tex]\left|[/tex]x2[tex]\left|[/tex]) [tex]\leq[/tex] b([tex]\sqrt{x1^2 + x2^2}[/tex])

I think i'm going right with this?
    im not sure how to work with the supremum norm in the middle?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like a correct algebraic translation of the problem. In more detail, you want to prove:

There exist positive real numbers a and b such that
    For any real numbers x1 and x2
    [tex]a \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \leq \max \{ |x_1|, |x_2| \} \leq b \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2}[/tex]​

The supremum in the middle is not essential -- with a little effort you can rearrange that inequality so that there are suprema is on the outside and one Euclidean norm in the middle. Really, for the purposes of solving for a and b, you probably just want to look at it as two separate inequalities.

4. Feb 20, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, what you have to prove is you can find the a and b. You might start by stating that without loss of generality, you may assume [itex]|x_1| \le |x_2|[/itex], so that:

max{|x1|,|x2|} = |x2|

and work with assumption.

5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    thanks for the help lads

[tex]
    a \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \leq b \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \geq \max \{ |x_1|, |x_2| \} }
    [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]
    a \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \leq b \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} \geq |x_2| }
    [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]
    a \leq b \geq |x_2|/\sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2} }
    [/tex]

a constant?

6. Feb 20, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just draw a right triangle. Make the lengths of the legs x1 and x2. sqrt(x1^2+x2^2)=h is the length of the hypotenuse. In terms of h, what's the longest the longest leg can be? What's the shortest the longest leg can be?

7. Feb 20, 2010 #6
    the shortest the longest leg can be is x1=x2 so then x2 = [tex]\sqrt{(h^2)/2}[/tex] ?

8. Feb 20, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly. h/sqrt(2). How about the longest the longest leg can be? So the max norm is bounded by constants times the euclidean norm, right?

9. Feb 20, 2010 #8
    the longest the longest leg can be is x1 = 0 so then x2 = h?

10. Feb 20, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have said 'the longest the longest can be is h'. But I think you've got the idea. If h is the hypotenuse, the longest leg is between h and h/sqrt(2).

11. Feb 20, 2010 #10
    ok, so the longest leg is between h and h/sqrt(2), i get that with the triangle but im not sure how it shows the norms are equivalent?sorry and thanks for the help!

12. Feb 20, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hypotenuse is the euclidean norm of the point (x1,x2) in R^2. The longest leg is the max norm of (x1,x2).

13. Feb 20, 2010 #12
    oh god,yes-thanks a million...that actually really,really explains it to me. Damn thanks a million.Thanks dick. Im actually happy now :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook