Proving No Equivalence of Norms in l_1

• Thread starter BSCowboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to show that no pair of the norms ||\cdot||_1, \, ||\cdot||_2, \, ||\cdot||_{\infty} are equivalent in l_1, where each element is a sequence of numbers that converges absolutely. The conversation also presents a possible solution by finding a sequence of sequences where ||x_n||_1 diverges while ||x_n||_{\infty} remains constant. This shows that the norms cannot be bounded by a constant multiple of each other, proving they are not equivalent.
BSCowboy

Homework Statement

In [tex]l_1[/tex] (each element is a sequence of numbers such that the series converges absolutely) show that no pair of the norms [tex]||\cdot||_1, \, ||\cdot||_2, \, ||\cdot||_{\infty} [/tex] are equivalent norms.

Homework Equations

[tex]||x||_1=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}|x_i|[/tex]
[tex]||x||_2=\left(\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}|x_i|^2\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]||x||_{\infty}=\mbox{ max}\{|x_i|:i=1,2,\ldots\}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize I need to show:
[tex]\dfrac{||x||_1}{||x||_2}=\infty \text{ or } 0\quad \dfrac{||x||_1}{||x||_{\infty}}=\infty \text{ or } 0\quad \dfrac{||x||_2}{||x||_{\infty}}=\infty \text{ or } 0[/tex]
but I am having problems finding such a sequence and showing this is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't find a SINGLE sequence that will prove they aren't equivalent. You need to find a sequence of sequences. For example, can you find a sequence of sequences x_n where ||x_n||_infinity remains constant as n increases but ||x_n||_1 goes to infinity? That would prove ||_infinity and ||_1 were not equivalent norms, right?

Last edited:
How about [tex]x_n=n^{-1/2}[/tex]

Then: [tex]||x_n||_1[/tex] diverges while [tex]||x_n||_{\infty}=1[/tex]

But, this sequence does not converge absolutely so it wouldn't be in the space, right?

That's still a single sequence. You want a sequence of sequences. Define x_n to be the sequence where the first n terms are 1 and the rest are zero. What are ||x_n||_infinity and ||x_n||_1?

In that case,
[tex] ||x_n||_1=\infty[/tex]
and
[tex] ||x_n||_{\infty}=1[/tex]

But again, this is not a convergent sequence, so it wouldn't be in the space in the first place right?

Last edited:
BSCowboy said:
In that case,
[tex] ||x_n||_1=\infty[/tex]
and
[tex] ||x_n||_{\infty}=1[/tex]

But again, this is not a convergent sequence, so it wouldn't be in the space in the first place right?

You aren't quite getting this. x_n isn't a single sequence. It's a different sequence for each value of n. x_1=(1,0,0,0...), x_2=(1,1,0,0,0..), x_3=(1,1,1,0,0...) etc etc. All of those are in l_1. And, yes, ||x_n||_infinity=1. But ||x_n||_1=n, right? What does that tell you about the possibility of the norms being equivalent?

You're right, I was being dense (my steady state as of late).

So,

[tex]\dfrac{||x_n||_1}{||x_n||_{\infty}}=n [/tex]

Then,
[tex]\dfrac{||x_n||_1}{||x_n||_2}=\dfrac{n}{\sqrt{n}}=\sqrt{n} [/tex]

Lastly,
[tex]\dfrac{||x_n||_2}{||x_n||_{\infty}}=\sqrt{n} [/tex]

Or, am I still lost?

No, I think you are getting it. Since all of those diverge as n->infinity, that means you can't bound any of your norms by a constant times the other norm, right?

Right, Thanks Dick. I appreciate it. I guess I kept getting stuck because I wasn't thinking about a sequence of sequences correctly and I kept thinking of [tex]l_1[/tex] incorrectly.

1. What is the concept of "equivalence of norms" in l_1?

"Equivalence of norms" in l_1 refers to the idea that two norms, or measures of distance, on a vector space should produce the same topology, or notion of convergence. In other words, if two norms are equivalent, then they should lead to the same notion of "closeness" between vectors in the space.

2. Why is it important to prove the lack of equivalence of norms in l_1?

Proving the lack of equivalence of norms in l_1 is important because it allows us to better understand the structure of the vector space and the behavior of different norms. It also helps us to identify which norms may be more suitable for certain applications or problems.

3. What is a common approach to proving no equivalence of norms in l_1?

A common approach to proving the lack of equivalence of norms in l_1 is to use a counterexample. This involves finding two different norms on the same vector space that lead to different topologies, thereby demonstrating that the norms are not equivalent.

4. Can the lack of equivalence of norms in l_1 be proven for all vector spaces?

No, the lack of equivalence of norms in l_1 can only be proven for specific vector spaces. It is possible for two norms to be equivalent on one vector space, but not on another. It ultimately depends on the properties and structure of the vector space in question.

5. How does proving no equivalence of norms in l_1 impact the study of functional analysis?

Proving the lack of equivalence of norms in l_1 has significant implications for the study of functional analysis. It allows for a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of different norms, and can also help in the development of new norms and their applications in various areas of mathematics and science.