Equivalent resistance between two points

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the equivalent resistance for a circuit with multiple resistors in parallel. The participants discuss the pattern of the equivalent resistance as more resistors are added and suggest different approaches to finding the answer. It is ultimately concluded that the equivalent resistance approaches 2R as the number of resistors increases, and this information can be used to determine the correct answer from the given options.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=245e5e166ad9cf11402f5697f6433411.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
All the resistors are connected in parallel across A and B .The equivalent resistance is 1/Req= (1/R) +(1/2R) + (1/6R) + (1/12R) + ...

I tried to work with few terms and it seems the effective resistance tends to zero as terms increase . But C) is not the correct option .

Now I am not sure how to calculate this sum . Am I missing something very simple ?

Thanks

Attachments

• question3.png
    question3.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the result for up to 4 resistors in parallel.

Look at the results for 1, 2, 3 and then 4 resistors in parallel.

For 1 resistor, Req = R.

For 2 resistors, Req = 2/3 R

continue for the next two.

Observe how much of a change you see from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.

It should be decreasing but it doesn't go to 0.

Another observation is when the added resistor in parallel gets to be about 1/20 R, it doesn't add much to Req.

Zero is not the answer for sure, as you can see the values of the parallel resistances go on increasing.

Leave the first R alone. What can you say about the sequence 2R, 6R, 12R, 20R...?
What is the expression for this sequence?
T1=2R, T2=6R...and so on. What is the general expression for this sequence i.e. Tn=?

magoo said:
Calculate the result for up to 4 resistors in parallel.

Look at the results for 1, 2, 3 and then 4 resistors in parallel.

For 1 resistor, Req = R.

For 2 resistors, Req = 2/3 R

continue for the next two.

Observe how much of a change you see from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.

It should be decreasing but it doesn't go to 0.

Another observation is when the added resistor in parallel gets to be about 1/20 R, it doesn't add much to Req.
That all may be suggestive but proves nothing. The first step is to figure out the general form of the sequence 1, 2, 6, 12, 20...
Actually, it doesn't have a guessable one unless you omit the initial 1. That seems to be a mistake by the question setter.

My suggestion was merely to calculate the results for up to 4 resistors in parallel. If you look at the values or plot the Req versus # of resistors, you'll see that the curve decreases to a value other than 0. You can do it for the 5 values shown also.

If you haven't figured out the series, the fact that the 20R and greater terms are insignificant in the total makes this a reasonably acceptable approach. If the higher terms had greater impact on Req, then this would not be acceptable.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I agree with haruspex, the sequence is far from obvious.

There is a website called "Car Talk" run nominally by two MIT graduates (one sadly deceased). This is the sort of puzzle they post. The answer is usually irrelevant to mathemaics to any perceptible extent. This one looks like another such.

magoo said:
My suggestion was merely to calculate the results for up to 4 resistors in parallel. If you look at the values or plot the Req versus # of resistors, you'll see that the curve decreases to a value other than 0. You can do it for the 5 values shown also.
I think this approach is simpler (and smarter!). Simply calculate the equivalent resistance up to 4 or 5 resistors and compare that value with the options. The closest option would be the correct one.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
I think this approach is simpler (and smarter!). Simply calculate the equivalent resistance up to 4 or 5 resistors and compare that value with the options. The closest option would be the correct one.
That sounds like the way to go all right.

You can only give a unique answer if you assume going beyond what we are told, that this series which we don't know is convergent. If it is not, if it is divergent, equivalent resistance is 0 (c) .
Assuming then that the series is convergent we can answer the question since we don't need to know what the equivalent resistance is, only what it isn't. It's fairly obviously isn't b. By working out the equivalent resistance of the part we can see we can decide between the two remaining possibilities.

Sum of 1/r approaches 2R
Rt=R/2 approximate.

1. What is equivalent resistance between two points?

The equivalent resistance between two points is the total resistance that a current will encounter when moving between those two points.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated?

Equivalent resistance is calculated by adding the individual resistances between the two points in a series circuit or by using the reciprocal of the sum of the inverse resistances in a parallel circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for equivalent resistance?

The unit of measurement for equivalent resistance is ohms (Ω).

4. Can the equivalent resistance between two points ever be lower than the individual resistances?

No, the equivalent resistance between two points will always be equal to or greater than the individual resistances. This is because resistances add up when connected in series and decrease when connected in parallel.

5. How does temperature affect equivalent resistance?

Temperature has a direct effect on the resistance of a material, so as temperature increases, the resistance also increases. This means that equivalent resistance between two points will also increase with temperature.