Equivalent resistance of the circuit

In summary: Hi Krowek,I don't think you have simplified/clarified it, though. The resistors still don't neatly present as all parallel and series. You are going to have to use techniques of circuit analysis.
Krowek
Hello!

1. Homework Statement

http://i0.simplest-image-hosting.net/picture/uklad.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{1}{R} = \frac{1}{R1} + \frac{1}{R2}[/itex]

[itex]R = R1 + R2[/itex]
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to re-draw the schematics, but with no avail. So far I have figured out that, looking at the right side, resistors labeled 20, 40, 40 Ohms seem to be connected in parallel, so I could replace them with one resistor (10 Ohms). Then that resistor would be also in parallel with 30 Ohms, that was just a bit on the left. Is any of this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Krowek, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Consider that 30 Ω resistor you mentioned. Can you follow a continuous wire path from its bottom terminal to its top terminal? If so, what does that tell you about that resistor and the places where it connects?

Hi Krowek! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

See that connecting wire that goes from the top of the 30 Ω resistor then all the way around to end up at the bottom of that 30 Ω ? How many ohms is that wire equivalent to, I wonder? ;) ;)

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I figured it out, there will be no resistance on that segment as the potential is the same at both ends and there will be also no current flow. Is this right? I have connected both terminals of 30 Ohms resistor and re-drawn the circuit like this:
http://i0.simplest-image-hosting.net/picture/untitled167.jpg
Is this correct? (a,b,c,... start at top-left corner and go clockwise in the original picture.)

Whoa, that's a big redraw! EDIT: Sorry, I got disoriented!

I don't think you have simplified/clarified it, though. The resistors still don't neatly present as all parallel and series. You are going to have to use techniques of circuit analysis.

Choose nodal or mesh analysis ...

Last edited:
The arrow thing is voltage source - I didn't know how to put just the wire alone - so I think it can be ignored. Originally, there were two 30 Ohms resistors. The one we were talking about was removed. The one on the left I think I cannot erase just like that?

An alternative you could try, just for interest, is a Y-to-Δ transformation if you can spot where you might apply it. Look it up on google to see the details.

1. What is the definition of equivalent resistance in a circuit?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit when all the individual resistances are combined into one single resistance. It is the resistance that would produce the same amount of current flow in the circuit as the combination of all the individual resistances.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, equivalent resistance is simply the sum of all the individual resistances. This is because in a series circuit, the same amount of current flows through each resistor, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances.

3. How is equivalent resistance calculated in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is calculated using the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. This is because in a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each resistor, and the total current is equal to the sum of the individual currents.

4. How does equivalent resistance affect the overall performance of a circuit?

Equivalent resistance is an important factor in determining the behavior of a circuit. It affects the total current and voltage in the circuit, and can also affect the power dissipated by the circuit. A lower equivalent resistance will result in a higher current flow and a higher power dissipation.

5. How does temperature affect the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a material increases with an increase in temperature. This means that the equivalent resistance of a circuit will also increase with temperature. This effect is more pronounced in materials with higher resistivities and can lead to variations in the performance of a circuit.