How Do You Calculate the Equivalent Resistance in Complex Resistor Networks?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sketch of a system of resistors and the attempt to find the equivalent resistance R[ab]. The homework equations of series/parallel relationships are mentioned, but the question is deemed ambiguous. The suggested method is to solve the circuit using KCL technique and convert the answer into an overall resistance. The conversation also includes alternative methods and a request for a simpler solution.
skiboka33

Homework Statement

This problem involves a sketch of a system of resistors, so I will do my best.

A--xx1xx---|---xx1xx--B
.\.....|..../
...x...x...x
...x...x...x
...x...x...x
...x...x...x
...\...|.../
.....\.|./
...\/

The numbers between the x's represent the resistors and their vaules.

The question asks to find the equivalent resistance R[ab].

Homework Equations

I am aware of the series/parallel relation ships between resistors, but this question seems ambiguous.

1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2
Req = R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

The question states that the solution should be 27/17, but anyway I work this problem I dno't seem to get this answer, although I have gotten very close.

Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a simplification right off the bat (there may be one I'm missing), so what I would do is just solve the circuit using the KCL technique, and convert the answer into an overall resistance.

Like, turn the circuit 90 degrees clockwise, so A is on the top, and B is on the bottom. Ground B and put 1V in at A. Now write the two KCL equations for the voltages at the unknown nodes and solve for those voltages. That will give you the currents and voltages, so sum the currents through the two resistors leading out of A, and that along with the one 1V in will give you the overall resistance.

I often lose patience with these kind of problems early, and just do it the brute force way. BTW, if you find out that there's a simpler way to do it, please post it so I can learn it.

I would first start by carefully analyzing the given diagram and understanding the connections between the resistors. From the diagram, we can see that there are resistors in series and in parallel.

To find the equivalent resistance between points A and B, we can use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2, where R1 and R2 represent the resistors in series. In this case, R1 = 1+3+5 = 9 and R2 = 1+1+5 = 7. Therefore, 1/Req = 1/9 + 1/7 = 16/63. Taking the reciprocal, we get Req = 63/16.

However, this is not the final answer as there are still resistors in parallel. To account for this, we can use the formula Req = R1 + R2, where R1 and R2 represent the equivalent resistances of the parallel resistors. In this case, R1 = 1/(1/9 + 1/7) = 63/16 and R2 = 1/(1/5 + 1/5) = 5/2. Therefore, Req = 63/16 + 5/2 = 27/17, which is the desired answer.

In conclusion, by carefully analyzing the given diagram and using the appropriate formulas, we can find the equivalent resistance between points A and B to be 27/17.

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the combined resistance of multiple resistors in a circuit that is equivalent to a single resistor. It simplifies the circuit and allows for easier analysis.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance can be calculated using the formula: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of the resistors in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of finding equivalent resistance?

The purpose of finding equivalent resistance is to simplify a circuit and make it easier to analyze. It also helps to determine the total amount of current flowing through the circuit.

4. Can the equivalent resistance be greater than the individual resistances?

Yes, the equivalent resistance can be greater than the individual resistances. This happens when the resistors are connected in series, where the equivalent resistance is the sum of all the individual resistances. For example, two 10-ohm resistors in series would have an equivalent resistance of 20 ohms.

5. How does equivalent resistance change in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is always less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, which reduces the overall resistance of the circuit.