Equivalent Resistance in series circuit

In summary, three resistors with values of 7.0 Omega, 12 Omega, and 16 Omega are connected in series in a circuit with a 9.0 V battery. The total equivalent resistance is 35 Omega. The current in each resistor is 0.26 A. The rate of energy delivered to the 16 Omega resistor is 4.64 W.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

Three resistors with values of 7.0 Omega, 12 Omega, and 16 Omega are connected in series in a circuit with a 9.0 V battery.
a) What is the total equivalent resistance?
b) What is the current in each resistor?
c) At what rate is energy delivered to the 16 Omega resistor?

Homework Equations

I= V/Rs
P = V^2 /R ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got "a" but missed "b". i used the first equation and got .26 then divided that by 3 but I guess that's not what you do. For "c" i really have no clue. help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In series connection the current is the same in all the resistances.
For "c", the power can also be written as P = I^2*R.

so for b the answer would be just .26 and not divide by 3?

Yes.

thanks!

1. What is equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

Equivalent resistance in a series circuit is the total resistance experienced by the current as it flows through all the components in the circuit. It is the sum of individual resistances in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate equivalent resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the resistances of all the components in the circuit. The formula for calculating equivalent resistance is: Req = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, ... , Rn are the individual resistances.

3. Why is equivalent resistance important in a series circuit?

Equivalent resistance is important in a series circuit because it determines the total amount of current flowing through the circuit. It also determines the amount of voltage drop across each component in the circuit.

4. What happens to equivalent resistance in a series circuit as more resistors are added?

In a series circuit, as more resistors are added, the equivalent resistance increases. This is because adding more resistors creates a longer path for the current to flow, resulting in more resistance.

5. Can equivalent resistance in a series circuit be greater than the individual resistances?

Yes, equivalent resistance in a series circuit can be greater than the individual resistances. This is because the total resistance experienced by the current is the sum of all the individual resistances. So, if there are multiple resistors in a series, the equivalent resistance will always be greater than the individual resistances.