What is the Equivalent Resistance in this Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equivalent resistance to find the value of R in a circuit where the ammeter reads zero. It is suggested to either treat the branch with the ammeter as a short circuit or open circuit and apply the equivalent resistance formula, or use the Wheatstone Bridge balancing condition to find the equivalent resistance.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9245/45050879.png"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just don't know. I understand how equivalent resistance works, but I just don't get this question. Please ignore the marks I have on the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the ammeter reads zero, that branch can be taken as short circuit or open circuit.
Now apply equivalent resistance formula to find R.

rl.bhat said:
Since the ammeter reads zero, that branch can be taken as short circuit or open circuit.
Now apply equivalent resistance formula to find R.
Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

keemosabi said:
Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Have you heard about the Wheatstone Bridge? What is the balancing condition of the bridge?
When there is no current in the ammeter, either remove the ammeter from that branch, or replace it by a conductor and find the equivalent resistance of the circuit.

Equivalent resistance is a concept in electricity that refers to the combined resistance of a circuit or part of a circuit. In this case, the circuit shown in the image can be simplified into a single resistor with an equivalent resistance. To find the equivalent resistance, we can use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. In this case, we can see that the current is split into two branches, so we can use the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2, where R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two branches. By plugging in the values, we can calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit.

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in either series or parallel. It represents the combined effect of all the resistors in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in series?

To calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in series, you simply add up the individual resistances. The formula is: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. How do you calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel?

To calculate equivalent resistance for resistors in parallel, you use the formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. Then, you take the reciprocal of the sum to get the equivalent resistance.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of equivalent resistance?

In series circuits, the equivalent resistance is always greater than the individual resistances, as they add up. In parallel circuits, the equivalent resistance is always less than the individual resistances, as they are inversely proportional.

5. Why is equivalent resistance important?

Equivalent resistance is important because it helps us analyze and understand the behavior of complex circuits. It allows us to simplify the circuit and calculate important values such as current and voltage using Ohm's Law.