1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Resistance

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1
    resistor-cube-kirt-2.GIF

how can i solve the equivalent resistance?

I assume R = 2 and I = 3, I know I in node A will be divided. It's just that I don't know what direction I will go to solve for Voltage so I can solve the equivalent resistance.

Is Req = 4/3 Ω ?
    on[/b]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2012 #2
    There are a couple ways you might attack this. One is to set up a system of node-voltage equations like you would for any circuit network. That will guarantee that you can solve it, although it will involve 8 equations in 8 unknowns, so you better have your calculator handy.

The other solution is to try and simplify the network. Since this one is made up entirely of nodes with three edges coming into each one, you might try using Y-Δ transformations on it.

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The network has got a plane of symmetry: The yellow plane in the figure attached. The symmetric nodes (C,D) and (E,F) are at equal potential. The nodes which are at equal potential can be shorted (connected with a wire), it does not change the currents and voltages in the network. Connecting the equivalent nodes, C and D become a single node, and E, F also. Redraw the network.

Req=4/3 Ω is correct.

ehild

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook