Erase Credit Debt: Is It Really That Easy?

• Thread starter junglebeast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    debt
In summary, bankruptcy is an established procedure that can be used to erase credit card debt. The consequences can be significant, including a loss of credit rating and increased borrowing costs.
GeorginaS said:
There are loads of advantages to having credit cards in this day in age. Lots of stuff simply can't happen without them, such as renting a car, or making online purchases that you might not otherwise be able to make. They are perfect for emergencies and should be limited to those situations where you need one to make something happen or you're caught off-guard with an expense.

But I can use my debit card to do all of these things the exact same way. They person doesn't even need to know that it's a debit card if I say "credit."

So far the disadvantages I've heard pointed out are:

1) CC can make additional money through interest. The amount of interest I make in a month would probably not be enough to buy a stick of gum so that's irrelevant to me.

2) CC offers more protection. This is a good point.

3) CC builds credit so credit score is higher if I ever decided I want to take out a loan in the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't use anything except for the non-profit credit counseling agencies that are available for free to the public. You should never have to pay or sign up for anything.

The way this works is that most credit card companies will negotiate to stop interest fees, therefore allowing you to pay off the debt without accruing more debt. That's where people run into problems, they can't afford to pay more than the interest each month. They will also negotiate a timeframe in which to pay off the dept, usually lowering the amount you have to pay each month. The agreement requires you to have your accounts canceled so you can no longer charge anything, which is smart.

If you really need to sign an agreement that you don't understand, there is always the (expensive) option of hiring a lawyer to read it over for you, and explain the important points.

I doubt it's that expensive, relatively speaking, for someone who is likely to be in serious debt because of credit cards. A lawyer would charge maybe $150 or $200 for this, right? Someone with $10,000 in debt is paying $132 a year (on average) at the ordinary rate, and could pay as much as $320 a year for the default rate. If the lawyer's advice kept the customer in the first category, it pays for itself.

junglebeast said:
But I can use my debit card to do all of these things the exact same way. They person doesn't even need to know that it's a debit card if I say "credit."

I'm curious to know where you live.

To rent a car, they run your credit card through a machine and verify a "hold" on a certain amount of money as against your car rental charges. I don't know any debit card that can do that.

When I said they were handy in an emergency, I meant an emergency situation where you don't have enough cash in the bank to cover an unanticipated expense. I don't know how a debit card helps in that situation, either, given that they are direct access to your bank account and subject to the balance you have in it. (Now, granted, my bank account, and hence debit card, has a sizeable overdraft available on it, but it's nowhere near the amount of money I have access to with credit cards.)

Lastly, I don't know about you, but when I purchase something online, the software online knows simply by the numbers I've entered into their software whether the numbers belong to a Visa or Mastercard or some other credit card. So how you manage to use your debit card as credit card online is a mystery to me.

Moonbear said:
I don't know how people end up $10s of thousands in debt on credit cards anyway. How do you not realize you couldn't pay off last month's bills, so maybe you shouldn't be spending on anything but bare essentials this month?

I don't think it's a matter of them not realizing it so much...

Habit is a cool dude to hang out with; he does what he wants. Reason is that annoying, articulate, chatty little twit that always points out when you're wrong and makes a fool of you in public.

They don't fight, because that implies consent, but Habit is always kicking Reason's ***.

Moonbear said:
I don't know how people end up $10s of thousands in debt on credit cards anyway. How do you not realize you couldn't pay off last month's bills, so maybe you shouldn't be spending on anything but bare essentials this month? I could see someone getting socked with $5000 that they can't pay off right away...maybe the furnace dies the same month the transmission falls out of the car and you don't have the cash to pay that all up front, but then you know you need to cut out all the frivolous extras and perhaps downsizing on the house, taking in roommates to share costs, or watching the food budget more carefully if you can't pay that off in a year's time.

I love seeing talks shows and news reporting segments where they interview of counsel people in tremendous debt. It's seriously as if they have simply checked out like a drug addict. They're confronted with it and they're simply like "Oh well...". Then there's these people that kinda act like kids and think they just need to make the minimum payments and as long as they can, they can spend freely. I wonder if it's them just not understanding basic math. The people with huge debt never seem to be the ones who forget to pay the bills or have an emergency expense they weren't prepared for... it's the people who think 'Hey, I have a $20,000 limit, I should buy $20,000 worth of stuff and only be paying a few hundred a month!' as if they think they're getting away with something.