Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Mar 9, 2004 #1
    i was having a coversation with my girlfriend last night about the bible and the meanings of it. then we came on the topic of how god really exsists and what maeks people believe in him and the bible. then we asked the question what if there was a way to erase god from everyone? if in some way god was erased from everyone's memory. my theory was that we would just make up some other divine spirtual being to believe in b/c humans are nothing without faith in some sort of healing for the wounds we have suffered. im just putting this out here to see if anyone has any other theories...
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2004 #2
    If you truly follow what is fundmental about God, then you would be required to erase yourself, first, so it loses it's point there...Kinda...

It's like, if you erase everything, then there is still God, if you erase God (you cannot) then there is nothing...but the only 'proving' of that, is to, what? erase?, at least, us, cause then we know nothing!!??...begging the question of God still existing, and we cannot prove/disprove that!, at that level, not even in thought!

So...whats the point?
  4. Mar 10, 2004 #3
    you do not say it, but, you imply that god is the creator.

what if, in the broader reality, without a beginning or end, there is no creator?

to remove the concept of god would not change anything. we would still have the same desires, etc.

5. Mar 10, 2004 #4
    Uhmmm yes it would, the 'ideal' needs for a "Place of Birth" as it clearly wasn't within any of us, or all of us as we yet still have to discover...more, we know that...so....

Aside from that, we still need for the idea's of "Rights" Meaning etc. and the source that guides us, in that, from within us...

Don't know that one for yourself? cause that is the only true way, and it is well relfected, 'outside' as well...so...
  6. Mar 10, 2004 #5
    i didnt mean erase god as the spiritual being, but erasing god as in erase the idea that he exsists. as in make it so no one ever heard of him or know who he is. not erase him as make the spirit of him exsisting not exsist...
  7. Mar 10, 2004 #6
    Yes, you had mentioned erasing from the mind...so?

(no other words allowed?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?