ERASMUS in Coimbra: Physics at the University of Coimbra

• Thread starter IRobot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is currently studying physics in Paris and is looking to spend their second semester in a foreign country, particularly at the University of Coimbra in Portugal. The University of Coimbra is the oldest university in Portugal and has a good academic reputation. The city of Coimbra is also known for its lively student festivals.
IRobot
Hi everyone,

I am currently learning physics in Paris, at the university of Paris 6, fundamental physics I should precise and it's my fourth year. I would like to pass my second semester in a foreign country, but still in Europe. I am currently looking to the university of Coimbra, their department of Physics seems nice. I getting really interested in this course: http://www.fis.uc.pt/gb/ensino/plf5_fnp.php . Does anybody knows this university?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coimbra is the oldest university in Portugal. It used to serve as higher education for the portuguese colonies (Brazil) during one time period. I've never been there, but I've a couple of friends with degrees from Coimbra. I think they are well prepared.

Okay thank you for your answer ;)

I'm from portugal but I'm not on college yet. Anyways, from what I've heard, from friends and so, coimbra has a great academic spirit.

You can ask me some direct questions and i'll try to find out the answer for you.

Coïmbra is very nice as a city, has nice student festivals (Queima das Fitas is great!), but the physics department didn't really impress me that much for what I can remember. But those memories are blurred by alcohol.

1. What is the ERASMUS program and how does it work?

The ERASMUS program is a European Union initiative that facilitates student exchange between universities in Europe. It allows students to study abroad for a semester or year and earn credits that can be transferred back to their home university. The program covers a wide range of disciplines, including physics, and offers financial support to students to cover living and travel expenses.

2. Why should I choose the University of Coimbra for my ERASMUS exchange in physics?

The University of Coimbra is one of the oldest universities in Europe, with a long history of excellence in physics education. The physics department at the university is highly respected and offers a wide range of courses taught by renowned professors. Coimbra is also a beautiful and culturally rich city, making it a great location for a study abroad experience.

3. What are the requirements for participating in the ERASMUS program at the University of Coimbra?

To be eligible for the ERASMUS program at the University of Coimbra, you must be enrolled in a university in a participating country and have completed at least one year of study. You will also need to have a good academic standing and proficiency in English or Portuguese, as most courses are taught in these languages.

4. What types of physics courses are offered at the University of Coimbra through the ERASMUS program?

The University of Coimbra offers a variety of physics courses through the ERASMUS program, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. There are also opportunities for students to conduct research projects and participate in lab work. The course offerings may vary each year, so it is best to check with the university for the most up-to-date information.

5. How can I apply for the ERASMUS program at the University of Coimbra?

To apply for the ERASMUS program at the University of Coimbra, you will need to contact the international office or ERASMUS coordinator at your home university. They will provide you with the necessary application forms and information. You will also need to submit a transcript, language proficiency test results, and a motivation letter. The application deadline may vary, so it is important to start the process early.