Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ergodic versus Stationary

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    Can someone concisely clarify the distinction between an ergodic process and a stationary one? Specifically, can anyone provide examples of processes that are ergodic but not stationary or vice-versa?

You don't need to provide the definitions; I know what the words mean. But it seems to me that a stationary time series (such as one with the same mean and variance for any sub-interval) would automatically have these same parameters if one took an infinitely long sample of the process, implying ergodicity. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2
    Hi Wil,

I had to check for the definition of ergodic process myself and I got

So, turns out that you can have stationary processes without mean or variance (e.g. one following a Cauchy distribution), so in this case this process would not be ergodic.

On the other hand, you might have a process increasing linearly its mean over time, that means that with a sufficiently long sample you can deduce its linear mean behavior and thus fitting the definition of ergodic yet, since the mean is changing overtime, it would not be stationary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook