Ergonomics and success at gaming

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
This may be a bio question, but I'm not sure so I'm posting it in GD.

For the past 10-15 years, my interest in computer gaming centered on the solitaire game called "free cell". It's a great time waster. I've used several devices over the years. The game tracks my statistics. Once in a while, I peek at my statistics. I have several tens of thousands of games logged, but my success rate has been relatively stable over the years in the range 47% to 53%.

Last week, I won three games in a row so I glanced at the statistics. It said that my record for consecutive wins was 7 and the current win streak was 7. Wow. Since then, I haven't lost a game and my consecutive record now stands at 38. That's far to unlikely to be random chance, so something must be different. But what?

Here's my theory. Last week I played for the first time laying down in a hammock, using a tablet held about 20 cm from my face. I think those ergonomic factors somehow enhanced my ability to visualize several moves in advance and mentally evaluate alternative moves. I use a laptop while sitting and with more distance between screen and eyes. The subtended angle of the playing board is greater when using the tablet as I did.

A second factor is distractions. When I play while sitting I see the whole room. Sometimes, the TV is on while I play. The hammock+tablet setup is closer to a VR experience, because it reduces distractions. But that is also ergonomics.

o_O A third theory is that this change happened at the same time I stopped being a PF mentor. :nb):wink::smile:

What do you say? Might my speculations on ergonomics be valid? Have other people reported more board game success when using VR helmets? What about chess? What other theories should I consider to explain this abrupt change in win statistics?

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt and mcastillo356

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
A third theory is that this change happened at the same time I stopped being a PF mentor.
:doh:

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
DrClaude
Mentor
Could it just be that you figured out how to win the game?

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you kill the game with Task Manager, the losses don't get registered. :oldtongue:

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and anorlunda
Borek
Mentor
Are you sure there were no updates/changes to the game code itself?

I am not aware of any research related to the connection between ergonomics and logical games. There is a hard statistical data from Nvidia proving that higher fps (frames per second) leads to more kills in competitive FPS (first person shooter) gaming. It is a common knowledge between gamers that the best DPI (mouse sensitivity) in FPS is a matter of personal preferences and everyone should choose one that they feel most comfortable with. I know from experience that in some kinds of games played vs time smaller screens (larger FOV) lead to better results, but that's just personal anecdata.

Likes dRic2 and anorlunda
Lord Anoobis
Speaking only for myself when it comes to chess, this is what I've found. With Chessmaster I've always used the 2D layout and these days I can take anyone up to about Elo 1900. Provided I'm looking at a 2D layout. I find that looking at an actual board or 3D depiction nowadays, my ability to see lengthy combinations along multiple lines has deteriorated big time. The only way I can play successfully with a board is by transferring the moves to 2D and looking at that instead.

Suggested for: Ergonomics and success at gaming

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies