Ergonomics and success at gaming

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the sudden increase in the speaker's success rate in the computer game "free cell" and their theories on why this may have happened. The speaker speculates that the change in ergonomics, specifically playing on a tablet in a hammock, may have enhanced their ability to visualize moves and reduced distractions. They also mention the possibility of figuring out how to win the game and question whether there were any updates or changes to the game code. The conversation also touches on the connection between ergonomics and logical games, with the speaker mentioning research on the impact of fps and personal preferences in gaming. They also share their personal experience with chess and how their ability to play has changed with different layouts.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
This may be a bio question, but I'm not sure so I'm posting it in GD.

For the past 10-15 years, my interest in computer gaming centered on the solitaire game called "free cell". It's a great time waster. I've used several devices over the years. The game tracks my statistics. Once in a while, I peek at my statistics. I have several tens of thousands of games logged, but my success rate has been relatively stable over the years in the range 47% to 53%.

Last week, I won three games in a row so I glanced at the statistics. It said that my record for consecutive wins was 7 and the current win streak was 7. Wow. Since then, I haven't lost a game and my consecutive record now stands at 38. That's far to unlikely to be random chance, so something must be different. But what?

Here's my theory. Last week I played for the first time laying down in a hammock, using a tablet held about 20 cm from my face. I think those ergonomic factors somehow enhanced my ability to visualize several moves in advance and mentally evaluate alternative moves. I use a laptop while sitting and with more distance between screen and eyes. The subtended angle of the playing board is greater when using the tablet as I did.

A second factor is distractions. When I play while sitting I see the whole room. Sometimes, the TV is on while I play. The hammock+tablet setup is closer to a VR experience, because it reduces distractions. But that is also ergonomics.

o_O A third theory is that this change happened at the same time I stopped being a PF mentor. :nb):wink::smile:

What do you say? Might my speculations on ergonomics be valid? Have other people reported more board game success when using VR helmets? What about chess? What other theories should I consider to explain this abrupt change in win statistics?

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
A third theory is that this change happened at the same time I stopped being a PF mentor.
:doh:

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Could it just be that you figured out how to win the game?

If you kill the game with Task Manager, the losses don't get registered. :oldtongue:

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and anorlunda
Are you sure there were no updates/changes to the game code itself?

I am not aware of any research related to the connection between ergonomics and logical games. There is a hard statistical data from Nvidia proving that higher fps (frames per second) leads to more kills in competitive FPS (first person shooter) gaming. It is a common knowledge between gamers that the best DPI (mouse sensitivity) in FPS is a matter of personal preferences and everyone should choose one that they feel most comfortable with. I know from experience that in some kinds of games played vs time smaller screens (larger FOV) lead to better results, but that's just personal anecdata.

Likes dRic2 and anorlunda
Speaking only for myself when it comes to chess, this is what I've found. With Chessmaster I've always used the 2D layout and these days I can take anyone up to about Elo 1900. Provided I'm looking at a 2D layout. I find that looking at an actual board or 3D depiction nowadays, my ability to see lengthy combinations along multiple lines has deteriorated big time. The only way I can play successfully with a board is by transferring the moves to 2D and looking at that instead.

Likes anorlunda

What is ergonomics and why is it important for gaming success?

Ergonomics is the study of how people interact with their environment and the tools they use, with the goal of increasing comfort, efficiency, and productivity. In gaming, proper ergonomics can help prevent injuries, reduce fatigue, and improve overall performance.

What are some common ergonomic issues faced by gamers?

Some common ergonomic issues faced by gamers include repetitive strain injuries, eye strain, neck and back pain, and carpal tunnel syndrome. These issues can be caused by poor posture, excessive screen time, and using equipment that is not properly suited to the individual's needs.

How can I set up an ergonomic gaming station?

To set up an ergonomic gaming station, make sure your chair is adjustable and provides proper support for your back and arms. Your monitor should be at eye level and arm's length away, with minimal glare. Use a keyboard and mouse that are comfortable and properly positioned for your hands. Take breaks and stretch regularly to avoid muscle strain.

Are there specific ergonomics guidelines for different types of gaming?

Yes, there are specific ergonomics guidelines for different types of gaming, such as PC gaming, console gaming, and mobile gaming. For example, PC gamers may benefit from using an ergonomic keyboard and mouse, while console gamers may benefit from using a gaming chair with built-in support for controllers. Mobile gamers should take frequent breaks to avoid hand and wrist strain from using small touchscreens.

How can I improve my ergonomics and overall success at gaming?

To improve your ergonomics and overall success at gaming, focus on maintaining good posture, taking breaks and stretching regularly, and investing in ergonomic equipment. It's also important to listen to your body and make adjustments as needed to avoid discomfort and injury.