1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ERH in physics

Tags:
  1. Nov 19, 2015 #1

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I just thought about the critical concepts in mathematics and physics that arose in the last century: Goedel, Schroedinger, etc.

My question is: Are there any physical theories that rely on the validity of the extended Riemann Hypothesis?

I don't mean computer science, i.e. secure communications or encryption; pure physics. As modern physics depend more and more on some very abstract concepts, e.g. Kähler manifolds, de Sitter spaces and so on I asked myself whether the ERH slipped in somewhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Off hand - I doubt it very much. Number theory seems to be the most affected subject, far from any physics.

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3

fresh_42

Yes, that has been my thoughts, too. But I've read about lattices playing a role in some models, I think in particle physics. At least a potential entry point. And a couple of days ago I've read a headline they had discovered number theoretical relations in an hydrogen atom, I think it was about π. And I cannot evaluate whether differential manifolds are completely off the hook.

These were the thoughts which made me post the question. And if so the toying with the idea that physics could contribute to a at its heart deeply mathematical problem.

5. Nov 20, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

I don't know about the Riemann hypothesis, but work on string theory certainly inspired mathematics and lead to advances there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook